Ch 21

"We can take you home with us, Kat

"We can take you home with us, Kat. My parents can be your legal guardians." Sarah says as we wait for an update on my twin.

"No." I say looking at her like she's crazy. "Fuck, no."

"Then you're gonna go into the system. My dad is talking to DCS right now."

I head out finding Ward and a member of DCS.

"Hi, Kat. How are you?" The DCS person asks. "My name is Sherri, I'm gonna set you up with Mr. Cameron here."

"No." I say. "I'm not going with him."

"You realize I'll have to separate you from your brother and put you in foster care, correct? You'll be moving to the mainland."

"How am I supposed to think about this right now?" I ask shaking my head.

"We'll give you an hour to make up your mind. If you don't, you're coming with me."

Panic rises in me. I scramble to find my friends in the waiting area, leaving Ward alone with the social worker. I find Pope wandering a hallway.

"P!" I yell catching his attention. He turns to look at me as I run up to him.

"DCS is here. Ward is offering to be our Guardian, I can't go live with them. I need help."

Panic crosses his face too. "Shit. Uh, let me call my mom. Hideout in a bathroom or something, give me like 30 minutes."

I nod, heading into a bathroom. I stand, leaning against the sink. I try not to think about what life would be like if I didn't live here but I couldn't help it. I wouldn't see my brother, or my friends. I wouldn't see JJ.

I wait for what feels like forever before Kiara comes into the bathroom. "You are officially part of the Heyward family."

"What?"

"Mrs. Heyward is here. Pope called her telling her what happened and she is the legal guardian of you now."

My eyes widen. I didn't think the Heyward's would be interested in helping me.

"Come on." She says pulling me out of the bathroom.

When we reach the waiting room, JJ is immediately rushing over to me, wrapping me in a tight hug.

"You scared me." He mumbles into my shoulder.

"I told you I wouldn't leave you." I say looking into his eyes.

"God, I love you." He says hugging me again.

I find Mrs. Heyward. I sit in the chair next to where she had been waiting for me. As soon as I sit down I felt myself getting emotional. My eyes water and I feel myself choking up.

"Oh, honey, it's okay." She says placing a hand on mine.

"I just wanted to thank you. I really appreciate what your family has done for me all these years. I know I'm not always the best influence, but I love your son. Pope is my best friend ever and I adore him."

"I know, hon. He loves you too. You bring out the best in him. He's not such an uptight kid anymore, you give him confidence."

"Thank you."

"Now, I won't bore you with house rules yet, but there will be some, understand?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"The other thing. You can always go to your house, just let me know where you are."

"Of course." I say.

"Go see your brother." She says smiling.

I nod, getting up to go see my brother. I knock on the door to his room before poking my head in. Sarah still sat with my brother.

"Hey, Kat." He says smiling.

"You scared the shit out of me."

"I'm sorry." He says, his smile fades. "Sarah, can you give us a minute?" She nods reluctantly, leaving the room. "I'm still not a fan of you and JJ. But I won't say anything about it anymore. You're my sister, Kat, my twin sister. Sometimes we fight, but in the end we're family. If he makes you happy then be with him."

"Thank you." I say simply, I still wasn't happy with him.

An empty silence fills the room, making things feel awkward.

"We have a home." He says suddenly.

"Separate homes." I correct.

"What?"

"I refused to go with Ward. The Heywards are now the legal guardians of me."

"You separated us?"

"Yes."

"Kat!" He says annoyed.

"I don't trust them. If I'm gonna be part of a family it's gonna be one I can trust."

I leave his room, leaving him to think over what I had just told him.