Chapter Eight

*Author's Note* I suck. I'm absolutely terrible and I'm sorry, but I've had a serious lack of motivation due to the fact that I have had no caffeine in seven days, two of my siblings are going to college in a week, and I've been working on my original stories which probably suck. Anyways, I'm sorry, but I hope you enjoy this chapter because, well, you'll figure it out. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is this real?" I stared with disbelief at Athens Weekly, where I had somehow managed to secure the fourth place spot in the princess polls. Hazel nodded enthusiastically, her cinnamon curls bouncing.

"The crowd loved you last night! The only bad reviews are from members of the selected, but everybody else absolutely adored you!" I couldn't believe it. Last week I was last, and this week I had secured the fourth place spot. How did that happen? I scanned up and down, Rachel was just below me, just above me was Calypso Ogygia, above her was Drew, and I almost squealed when I saw who was first. 

"PIPER'S FIRST!" I shouted, jumping up and down on my bed. Elsie giggled from the doorway of my bathroom and I hopped out of bed, slipping my robe on. "I have to get down to breakfast and talk to the girls!" Hazel winced.

"About that, the prince has asked you don't attend breakfast." My face fell.

"What? Why?" Percy had asked that? But why?

"He said that he thinks it's best if you keep your distance, seeing as you're in love with someone else?" Now I was really confused, I wasn't in love with anybody else.

"B-But I'm not! Who told him that? I'm not in love with anybody!" Hazel shrugged, fluffing up my pillows.

"That's all he said, but he said he'll come speak with you later, after breakfast. Which should be soon actually." I looked at the clock, it was nine thirty, meaning breakfast had been over for half an hour. Just as I was about to stomp away to the bath, there was a knock on my door. I opened it to be met with the face of Percy, equal parts angry and disappointed.

"What the hell is this about?!" He stepped through, still not saying anything, looking at the floor. Silently, he sat down on my bed and looked up, tears in his eyes.

"I heard about the kiss." he said quietly, just loud enough so that I could hear.

"What kiss?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

"You kissed Luke. One of the guards, I heard." I took a step back, shocked. Who would've told him that? It was a complete lie, and the only one who would've said something that ridiculous is Drew, but he wouldn't believe her. He had to be joking, so I laughed.

"Who told you that? That's ridiculous." He looked up, his sea green eyes glassy with tears. 

"He told me himself, Calypso backed him up. I thought better of you Annabeth." He started to walk out but I grabbed his arm, still in shock.

"Why would you believe them over me? Percy you've known them for days, I've known you for years!" He pulled away.

"That doesn't mean I don't know them!"

"B-But-"

"What Annabeth? You thought you were the only one who had a chance of winning this competition? Well guess what, it was never going to be you! And now I have proof that you don't even like me. Goodbye." He left, slamming the door, and for the first time in weeks I collapsed on the floor, sobbing. My maids rushed over, engulfing me in a hug and I curled in a ball, not really feeling anything. Not only had Luke lied, he had lied so that Percy would hate me, when in reality I would be the one hating Luke. And now he believed this Calypso girl, who I hadn't even talked to, over me. My maids didn't say anything, they just helped me get in my bed and let me lay there, wallowing in my misery. I didn't eat, I didn't drink, I didn't talk. This was the end, I'd never have my best friend back, and nobody would ever believe my side of the story.