Chapter Twelve

*Author's Note* Mwahaha, I am back and coming in with a bang because you're in for a surprise in this chapter. I think I told you last chapter that I was posting two chapters in a row of this story, but just in case I didn't I am. You'll notice there isn't an outfit in the media, you'll see why when we get into the chapter. While you guys might hate me after this chapter, you might also love me, we'll see;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My days since the convicting had been spent sulking in my room with little company save Piper, Reyna and occasionally one of the guards. Percy hadn't so much as looked at me or spoken to me, and I was preparing myself for the inevitable let down.

"Annabeth, you have to do at least some preparing for the masquerade!" I groaned and pulled the covers over my head.

"I already told you Piper, there's no point! He's going to choose Rachel, so why even bother?" Piper sighed and pulled the covers off of me, leaving my nightgown exposed.

"Then show him how wrong he is." I huffed, crossing my arms across my chest and stared at her. She rolled her eyes. "Look, I understand that you're upset. That much is clear," I pouted. "But you can't stay here mourning forever. You have one last chance to change his mind, this ball. If you throw it away....." she shrugged. There was no stopping Piper when she had an idea in mind, it was either shape up or give up, and there was no damn way I was giving up so soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Italian royal family arrived just after two o'clock three days later, the day before the ball, and I was too busy setting up their party to greet them.

"Thanks for doing this Annabeth, I know you probably want to see Nico." I shrugged.

"No problem. I can wait and see him...later." I know Jason could read what was behind the words, but he didn't say anything as I set out the last of the water glasses.

"So," he prompted, rearranging some flowers on the tables. "I heard what happened with you and um, Rachel." I gritted my teeth and practically snapped the handle off of the water pitcher. "But my real question is," I started pouring the water into glasses. "What really happened?" His eyes were genuine, and I set the pitcher down.

"She insulted my performance and the conviction. Said that I must've thought that I was some hero." Jason tilted his head sideways.

"That's not all is it?" I sighed.

"She said that if it meant everybody hating me, she would've gladly watched Meg's head fly off." Jason was so startled he nearly dropped the clipboard he was holding.

"That's-That's awful." I nodded, placing the half full pitcher on the table. "If it makes you feel any better, he's absolutely miserable." That didn't, but I barely had time to dwell on it before people started pouring through the doors. I caught Nico's eye through the crowd, he was easily the most plain in a black dress shirt and black ripped jeans, not the most princely outfit, but it was clearly Nico. I waved and he made his way over, grabbing a glass of water. Nico wasn't a big fan of hugs, or human contact in general really, so we did an akward handshake high five that ended up with me laughing and a smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

"So Nico, how's it been going?" Nico was an interesting person to talk to. The boy had been through so much that it was hard to even get a smile out of him. He had just turned sixteen this past January, but he seemed as if he should be much older, and felt a lot less pain. Nico's only living family members, other than his cousins, was his father, he had lost both his sister and his mother and had felt more heartbreak than anyone else Annabeth knew. He had once had a crush on Percy, but it was shot down almost immediately by the fact that Nico could see Percy was only into girls, and it tore the poor boy apart. He also had a strange addiction to American food, chicken nuggets and fries, some place called McDonald's. He just shrugged.