eight

rewritten: april 15, 2021; edited: august 7, 2023
✺✺✺

Chiron pats Percy's shoulder as they walk together near the lake, chuckling to himself. Percy furrows his eyebrows up at the centaur, slightly concerned.

"What?" he asks with a bit of dread. Chiron merely hums to ask for clarification. "What- what's so funny?" Percy repeats, feeling self-conscious.

Chiron's smile doesn't fade, and he pats Percy on the shoulder again. "Nothing, nothing. I'm just proud of you."

"For what?" Percy struggles to push away the warm bubbling of pride that rises in his stomach.

Chiron raises an eyebrow at the boy. "For holding your own," he explains, looking ahead once more, "even in times of trouble. Even when you weren't sure you would succeed. Why, I knew you were special, I knew—" Chiron cuts himself off with a gentle laugh of disbelief, shaking his head before continuing, "I knew you'd be his son, but I'm sure you made him proud in how you proved that you are."

Percy smiles, tilting his head down at his feet, which kick up grains of sand every now and then with his footfalls. He takes a moment to think before speaking. "It was a trident, right? That means my dad's Poseidon, isn't he?"

Chiron nods. "Yes and yes. God of the seas, the Earthshaker. He is very powerful, as are you."

Percy's jaw clenches, and his next step causes sand to spray in every direction as he kicks it forward. "Why didn't anybody tell me?"

Chiron hesitates. "It was—"

"Actually, let me guess. It was for my safety, right?"

Percy's fists tremble as he clenches them at his sides. Chiron takes notice. He sighs. 

"Yes, it was for your safety."

Percy nods, swallowing thickly. "Didn't I have a right to know?"

"Of course you did, Percy," Chiron says, reaching out to place a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Of course you had a right to know. It was my own instruction that prevented your mother and Grover from telling you the truth about everything. I take fault for that. You have every reason to blame me, and I will not judge if you do so."

Percy sighs before shaking his head. "No, no, I'm not- I'm not gonna blame you. I get it."

Chiron smiles, but Percy easily notices how he forces the gesture. Rather than bring attention to it, he looks back in front of him.

As Chiron mimics the action, his expression grows more genuine. "We're here," he says, catching Percy's attention.

Percy looks up from the sand, gasping softly at the sight of the cabin. "What is this place?" he asks. His frustration fades away as the building's peaceful aura emanates towards him, filling him with a sense of calm. 

The cabin is fairly long, made of wood with supporting pillars to match. Strings of seashells and coral decorate the wrap-around porch and railing; and a huge, oxidized trident rests at the top of the entrance, its sea-green hue pairing with that of the lake behind the cabin.

Percy approaches, and the wood seems to glitter. He peers closer, noticing the dazzling pieces of abalone and mother-of-pearl that imbue the boards to give the cabin an ethereal glow.

"Welcome home," Chiron says, gesturing for Percy to enter the cabin. "Your father built this. For you."

Percy runs a hand along one of the columns before hesitantly stepping inside, and his nose is instantly met with the scent of warm cedar and saltwater. He pauses upon seeing the cabin's interior in its entirety, breathing out an awestruck "Whoa."