twenty-six

edited: april 7, 2021
✺✺✺

"Ten laps."

"What?"

"Ten laps around my cabin and through my training area."

"You can't be serious."

"Eleven laps."

"(Y/N)-"

"Twelve."

Percy takes off running, and a light chuckle escapes (Y/N)'s lips. She lights the torches leading up to her cabin with quick and precise bursts of fire, illuminating the area in the early morning darkness. She waits, counting each time Percy passes the front of her cabin and raising an eyebrow at his lack of endurance.

"Come on, Blue, you've got five more. No walking."

Percy shakes his head as he runs, out of breath and already exhausted. In his defense, (Y/N) has a fairly wide clearing behind her cabin, but she does far more intense workouts than this every day. He slows his pace, trying to regain some energy as he switches to a light jog. When he makes his way around the front of the cabin at this speed, (Y/N) nods, giving him feedback. "Next time, start out at a jog instead of a sprint. You want to conserve your energy. Three more, let's go."

Percy finishes the final three laps and collapses to the ground in front of the cabin. (Y/N) looks at him in amusement, a tiny smirk on her face. "Here," she tosses him a large water bottle, and he catches it, waiting for his breaths to slow down before drinking. "Take it easy," she warns as he starts guzzling down the water, "I'm limiting you to one bottle per session, so don't finish it."

She's limiting his amount of water?

On the first day of training?

"You'll build up endurance faster if you work more when you're tired. Plus, drinking too much will just give you a stitch in your side. Now, come on, this is still the warm up."

"This is the warm up?" Percy asks, standing up.

(Y/N) nods. "Yeah. And we're not done yet, so let's get going. The sooner we finish, the more time you'll have later in the day to rest or fool around." Percy sighs, his legs wobbling from the intense work his muscles just went through. "Come on," (Y/N) starts, walking around her cabin and gesturing for Percy to follow. She lights the torches around the training area, making it more visible, "I want three sets of twenty-five push-ups, fifty sit-ups, twenty pull-ups, and a two-minute plank. I'll be counting and timing. Do them in whatever order you choose."

Percy gets into a push-up position, and (Y/N) gently kicks his elbow, "Don't angle it that way, you'll hurt yourself." She comments on his form while counting the twenty-five, and Percy fixes to her critiques each time. When doing the sit-ups, (Y/N) keeps his feet down with one of hers, holding a hand for him to tap each time he lifts his upper body off the ground. She watches from the side as Percy does his pull-ups, occasionally reminding him to bring his chin above the bar's height. She fixes the position of Percy's plank, setting a metal rod on his back to keep it straight.

After half an hour of the first set, he gets a one minute break.

And then she makes him do it all over again.

They go through the routine two more times, and although Percy's arms are exhausted and his core is burning, he does everything correctly in the third set of exercises.

He gets a five minute break this time.

"What time is it now?" Percy asks, trying to steady his breaths, and (Y/N) looks at her watch (she finally stopped stealing Grover's) before voicing the time.