twenty

⚠️ T/W: drugging (this is the rlly weird lotus casino scene) ⚠️

edited: april 4, 2021; november 19, 2023
✺✺✺

(Y/N) harrumphs. "That's just plain mean."

"No, it's not!" Annabeth defends.

"Yes, it is, you guys keep targeting me!"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe the 'never have I haver owned an Imperial Gold sword', 'never have I ever died before', 'never have I ever almost gotten my arm burnt off by a Hydra'—that's what I'm fucking talking about!"

"Relax, (Y/N), it's just a game."

"You, too, Percy? I thought you were on my side here."

"No, I—"

"Now all my friends are ganging up on me. I should have known. I'm never trusting anyone ever again."

"(Y/N)—"

"I don't wanna hear it, Goat Boy."

Annabeth scoffs. "Oh, come on. Stop being a drama queen."

(Y/N) gasps at Annabeth in exaggerated offense. "Drama queen? I'm hurt."

"Exactly."

"I'm a drama empress, get it the fuck right."

Silence fills the car for a few seconds before the teens start laughing, and Percy does his best to keep the sedan from swerving off the road. "Oh, look at that," (Y/N) says, and the laughter dies down. They all stare at the lights on and behind the sign in front of them.

WELCOME
to Fabulous
LAS VEGAS
Nevada

Grover laughs in amazement, Annabeth presses her hands against the window as she looks out, Percy glances his eyes back and forth from the city to the road, and (Y/N) scrunches her nose up in disgust.

"Ew."

"What?" her friends exclaim, Annabeth turning her head to look at the girl next to her while Grover swivels around in the passenger seat.

(Y/N) shrugs. "I don't like it."

"How?" Grover asks, shocked. "It's amazing!"

"We drive for a day and half to be met with this," she gestures wildly around herself and at the windows to provide clarification. "It's bright, expensive, unnecessary, and horrible for the planet."

"Would you stop being so negative about everything?"

"I can have my own opinion, Grover! Are you saying I can't think for myself and should just blindly follow the rest of our corrupt society?"

"Maybe."

"You all would be dead if I did that."

"Oh," Percy pipes up, looking forward and keeping his friends from arguing any longer, "there it is. Lotus Casino." 

The quartet looks up at the tall buildings, lights lining every edge and writing the hotel's name out for all to see. Fireworks of purple, red, and orange burst behind it, and high torches line the side of the road where Percy pulls in. (Y/N) mutters bitterly about the fireworks and unnecessary flair in the middle of the day as the sedan comes to a stop, unbuckling her seatbelt and grabbing her backpack.

"I've been looking forward to this," Grover says as he opens his door. "Look, guys, always split the eights, never the tens, okay?" he informs as the teens exit the car.