fifteen

edited: april 2, 2021; july 1, 2021; august 24, 2023
✺✺✺

"Come on, Annie, wake up," (Y/N) says, gently shaking Annabeth. Percy keeps poking Grover's cheek, earning a slap in the face from the annoyed and sleepy satyr.

"Ow, dude!" he exclaims, lifting a hand up to the spot.

Grover simply shrugs, rubbing his eyes. "You deserved it."

Annabeth yawns as she unbuckles her seatbelt. When she steps out of the car, she sways on her feet, stumbling. (Y/N) moves forward, placing a hand on Annabeth's back for support. When the daughter of Athena steadies herself, (Y/N) moves away. She and Percy grab the four bags and close the back doors as Grover and Annabeth start stretching out their limbs.

"What are we doing here?" Annabeth asks, her words slurred and groggy. The car beeps in response to (Y/N) locking it.

It beeps again as the daughter of Persephone makes sure she clicked the right button. 

"We're going to check out a room. It's midnight now, and you"—(Y/N) pauses as she looks at Percy, correcting herself at his raised eyebrow and crossed arms—"we need some proper rest before we go on. We'll get some gas and start up on the road again at around ten."

She hands Annabeth her backpack and tilts her head to the glowing sign that reads, 'Office'. Percy gives Grover his bag and crutches, and the group starts walking towards the doors. Annabeth rushes over to the sofa in the waiting area, plopping onto the cushions and curling up as best she can. Grover and Percy join her, watching through half-lidded eyes as (Y/N) goes up to the check-in desk.

The lady at the counter looks at (Y/N) kindly over her rectangular spectacles, her gaze moving past her and to the three teenagers talking on the couch. "Aren't you four a bit young to be traveling alone?" she asks in slight concern, and (Y/N) smiles at her.

"We're on a little mission," she says, joking evident in her voice as the receptionist chuckles.

"How many rooms?"

"One, please."

"Are two queen beds okay?"

"That's fine."

A pause.

"How long are you staying?"

"Just the night."

Another pause as the receptionist continues to click the computer mouse.

"I'll need a form of identification," the lady tells her, typing on the desktop. 

(Y/N) nods, sliding her backpack onto her elbow and opening it. She makes sure to keep the contents hidden from the receptionist as she sticks her hand in, commanding the leaf on her wallet to reach her palm. She grips it, pretending to rummage through her belongings as the stalk shrinks in length, and (Y/N) pulls the wallet up in her hand.

She sets her backpack down on the tiled floor, opening the wallet's zipper and looking for her driver's license. She had been able to get one with Chiron's permission, knowing it would come in handy for future use. Having Chiron use his wheelchair and pretend to be her only guardian (though, granted, it wasn't truly pretense) had helped her qualify without the usual wait.

Handing the card over to the receptionist, she also flips through the dollar bills, searching for the one she needs. "Alright, that'll be eighty-nine dollars for the two beds," the receptionist tells her, handing (Y/N)'s driver's license back.

She takes it, thanking the lady and putting it back in her wallet before looking up again. "Cash okay?"

"Absolutely."