#2 Shadows

I hesitantly stomp out the embers with my boot. I didn't want to but it's a safety hazard to the people here. As soon as it dissapeared, I began to regret doing so. I want to see it flicker again, I want to watch the thinning whispers lick at the air.

I let out a slightly heavy sigh and turn on my heels, not paying any kind to the hunched silouhettes that were only a few metres away.

That is until I hear a familiar name.

"Dabi... Cmon. Boss is expecting us soon."

I turn back around sharply but the moving shadows aren't there anymore. Dammit! Great work keigo. You had a clear chance of capturing one of the most well known villains in Japan and you blew it.

I take a few large steps towards where I heard the voice but all I can see are another set of dying embers.

---------------------------------------------------------
Time skip brought to you by an unpredictable walking time bomb
---------------------------------------------------------

The day's nearly over. Just another hour or so and I can go back home.
I walk on the pathway along Takoba Municipal Beach and onto the shore. It's gotten a lot nicer here over the past few months. I don't know who, but someone's been making quick work of all the rubbish that used to be here.

It's nice to be able to see the horizon again.

I used to come here a lot when I was a kid. Me and my friend would run around in the waves and play in the sand for hours before having to go back to our homes.

He went missing a while back.

Things haven't been the same since.

I hastily wipe a lonely tear as it trails down my cheek, before composing myself again. I continue walking until I reach the end of the beach, still looking for anything out of place.

I slowly squat down with my hands out from my sides, ready to take off into the sky. I jump up and beat my wings rhythmically as I start to rise.

One last check over and I'm done for the day. Swooping randomly, I dive close to the ground to check the area. Nothing seems out of the ordinary until I spot another familiar flame.

This time it's not in town centre, though, its by a discontinued construction sight that has been out of service for years. I carefully glide down onto the floor and stare at the glowing flickers of light.

I'm about to stomp this one out too, before i hear a vaguely recognizable whisper.

"I told you he'd come tonight"

I whip a few feathers in the direction of sound and step back slightly, readying into a fighting position.

A loud gasp can be heard, followed by a worrying fit of laughter. I launch myself towards it, positioning my wings to attack.

The area is pitch black until a small ring of turquoise fire swirls around me.

"Calm down hero. I'm not here to fight." A deep and somewhat monotone echo fills my ears as the flames drastically die down in size.

Authors note

Omg I know right! I actually updated for once! What a shocker!

Seriously though, thanks for reading so far. I don't know why so many people have already started reading this but thank you so much!

557 words