Chapter fifty-four

Three days later
I sighed as I rubbed my temples in circular motions. It was Wednesday morning, the day of the SATs. I made my mom drop me at school early this morning instead of waiting for Veronica. I mainly wanted to be here on time but I also wanted to do some more prep in the school library. I was kind of surprised when I saw a few other students here before me. Thankfully there was still an hour before school started.

I confusingly stared down at the page in front of me. I was currently stuck on a maths problem that I just couldn't seem to solve. I shook my head and scribbled out what I wrote for the fifth time and started again. Ten minutes later I was still nowhere near close to completing the problem. I didn't get it. Up until today I was able to do nearly every problem except for one or two that took me twenty minutes to do. I scribbled out my rough work furiously with frustrated tears blurring my eyes.

"Hey you" I jumped slightly and looked up to see Aaron smiling down at me. I then remembered Aaron and I agreed last night to meet at the library but he obviously woke up late. When he saw me his smile immediately vanished.

"Hey what's wrong?" He worryingly asked. He grabbed the chair in front of me and pulled it closer to me and sat down. The minute he sat down I threw my arms around him and silently cried. After a few minutes I pulled away from him and wiped my tears away. I looked like a such a baby but I couldn't help it

"Do you want to tell me what's going on?" He asked

I sighed and pointed to the page on the table. "I've been sitting here for the last half an hour trying to solve this question and nothing is working and what if a question like that comes up in the test and I can't do it and what if-" I rambled until I was cut off

"Ok calm down. You're obviously just very stressed and that's ok but babe the SATs are in literally an hour. You need to breathe and stop freaking out" he said. "Ok how about this, close your eyes and take five deep breathes" he continued. He pulled out my chair away from the table so I was facing him. "I'll do it with you"

I let out a breath and closed my eyes. I heard him take in a deep breath and I did the same. We did this four more times. "Ok now look at me" I opened my eyes and did exactly as he said. "You're going to go back to that table and solve that problem because I know you can"

I looked at the table and back at him. "I'm still not going to be able to do it" I mumbled under my breath. I was about to get up to turn my chair back towards the table but he abruptly sat me back down which surprised me.

"And that's it" he said "the minute you start doubting yourself that's when everything starts going down south. You need to believe in yourself or all of this" he pointed to the table where wall my notes and flash cards were "was for nothing" he continued.

I took in what he said and smiled at him "I think that's the most sensible thing you've ever said" I joked. He lightly pushed me making me laugh

"Just go and solve the problem" he said rolling his eyes

—————————————————-

Forty minutes later Aaron and I left the library feeling more confident than ever. We walked towards the exam centre which was just a big classroom in the school. We spotted our friends and walked over to them so we could talk.

"So I was thinking, since we finish school early today, we could go to the beach after since the weather is so good" Justin suggested. The school decided that after our SATs we could leave early which was great considering I didn't want to learn new material after a big test.

"I didn't bring a swimsuit" I said

"We could meet up an hour later and I'll order a pizza" Justin offered. We all agreed. We did need the break.