Chapter Eighteen

3 months later
I'd never been closer to my friends and family then I have since Steve proposed. I've worked over shifts and double shifts with Steve to pay for the wedding and Darry added a couple hundred in to help pay. I took 300 out of the 1000 to go dress shopping, I'm not friends with any girls at school their to princesses and rainbows for me. I decided to take Pony and Johnny with me to help me find a dress. We hopped into Darrys truck and drove to the closest and cheapest dress shop. When we made it there in about five minutes and we all hopped out the truck. "Hi hun how can I help you". The store clerk said smiling. "Um hi...I'm getting married in a couple months I'm here to look for a dress". I said smiling and walking up to the counter. "The boys here They your sons". She said smiling. "Oh no no this here is my brother and his friend". I said putting an arm around pony. "Well will your mother be showing up later". She said bending down to grab a sizing and price chart. I was kind of silent and so was pony. "I-...I don't have a mother". I said dabbing underneath my eyes. She quickly apologized and came out from behind the counter giving me a side hug and pulling me over to the dress section, it was quite an awkward encounter. She showed me dresses in my price range and I found two that I liked pony and Johnny decided on one and I went to go try them on. Two of the ones I found were teacup poofy dresses and pony and Johnny chose a nice form fitting gown. I walked out in Pony and Johnnys dress first. "Well". I said looking in the mirror seeing Johnny and pony's face through it. "It ain't me" I said giggling. Johnny and Pony joined in laughing. "I don't know what we were thinking". They were half rolling when I went to go change. I came out in a silk white dress with polka dots. I looked in the mirror. "We're getting warmer" I said turning to look at them Pony nodded and Johnny smiled, so I turned to walk back to the changing room. The final dress was full lace with tiny dots. "God I look like I'm going to prom". I said putting my face in my hands. "I'll see what they think". The salesclerk nodded and I walked out. Johnny just kinda smirked and pony examined it. "No". Pony said looking serious at the dress. "Phew thank god we agree". Johnny said letting out a breath. "Ya thank god". I said turning to look at myself in the mirror. "M-maybe we can try again tomorrow". I said looking into the mirror. Pony and Johnny both nodded and stood up while I went to change back into my flannel and jeans. We walked out thanking the salesclerk and hopping back into Darry's car. I was a little frustrated and I hit my hand on the wheel letting some of it out. "I-I'm sorry y/n" pony said looking straight forward. "Don't be I ain't angry at you". I smiled at him and went back to driving I think Johnny noticed how tense I was because I looked at him through the rear view mirror and he was staring at my knuckles I didn't even notice how hard I was squeezing the wheel, my fingers were white as ghosts and I slowly unlocked my fingers from the wheel calming down a little. When we got home Darry met me at the door surprised to not see a dress in my hands. "Don't ask". I said walking past Him. Pony and him talked outside Johnny with them while I went inside. I was getting ready to put my hair up when I noticed a picture on my dresser. It was my parents on their wedding day, her dress it was gorgeous! We had to still have it no way we would get rid of it. I ran up to the attic and searched for what felt like forever when I found the box. I ran back downstairs, thank god I had my moms small figure I was actually her size! I took the box into my room and slowly opened it the dress had a beautiful lace bodice and silk everywhere else. Her veil and tiara were packed beside it in the box. I put it on with the dress and walked over to my mirror. I nearly burst into tears. I never noticed how much I looked like my mother till now other then that honey brown hair soda and Darry have compared to my beachy blonde more like dads hair and pony's everything else though resembled mom so much. "D ...D-DARRY"! I called. He walked over to the door and knocked I slowly turned around. "Hey-" he dropped the door handle and his jaw dropped tears were welling in his eyes. "Y-y-you look g-g-gorgeous". He ran up hugging me still crying. "I-I found m-m-moms old d-dress". I said hugging him tightly. "You look like a prom-princess". He laughed while wiping his eyes. I wiped mine and looked in the mirror. Even my ring matched perfectly with the dress. "I-I found the per-perfect dress". I said looking in the mirror. We both smiled at each other and hugged each other again before he helped me unzip it and pack it up before the wedding day. I hugged him before he went out to the living room, I slowly followed after him. "You look like you just seen a ghost". Two said sitting on the living room floor. "I just seen something the sort". He said smiling as he walked into the kitchen. I came out and walked to the porch to wait for Steve. He turned the corner and saw me he started running to see me. "Hi honey". I said as he got up the steps. I held his face in my hands as I kissed him. "Hey baby he said lifting me off the ground and into his arms bridal style. He carried me inside and sat me on the couch. Steve had recently been promoted to head mechanic and he was making good money. "You find a dress today". He said sitting next to me I laid my head on his lap. "Something like that". I said giggling. "Counting down the days 4 more weeks. He said holding up four fingers. We had already found a church and a little house outback to have a party afterwards. All we needed now was the day to come. And lord could it not come any faster.