Chapter Twenty Four

The door opened and I jumped up running to the hallway. Steve saw me and ran towards me hugging me tightly. "Oh my god y/n." He said holding me tightly in his arms. "This-this isn't gonna change anything." He said I could hear him tearing up. "N-never." I said grabbing the back of his shirt and holding him tight with light tears coming out of my eyes. "I-I lo-love you."  He said kissing my neck and going back to hugging me. It felt like we were standing there forever before he swept me off my feet bridal style. "The start of an amazing family." He said kissing my forehead and carrying me over to the couch setting me down on his lap. I kissed his cheek and cuddled against him wrapping my arms around his waist and laying my head under his neck. He rubbed my back with one hand and his forehead with the other. "I promise we will make this work." It was silent for a second. "Are...are you crying?" He asked looking down at me. "I-I'm scared." I said sniffling. "Don't be I'm always here." He said wiping my eyes. "No- I'm scared of what others will say, you saw how Dallas reacted, and he's half as protective as Darry is." I could feel tears falling onto my cheeks as he pulled me into a hug. "If you want...I can tell them." He said holding me against his chest. "They'll kill you if I don't go with you." I said pulling myself away to look at him. "Ya...I thought Dallas was gonna snap me in two." He said smiling and rubbing my arm. I stood up and walked into the kitchen he followed closely after me. I grabbed a water and sat at the kitchen table. "Tonight." I said rubbing my forehead. "Tonight...what?" Steve said rummaging through the fridge. "Tonight we tell them." I said looking up. Steve turned around like he'd seen a ghost. "T-t-tonight." He stuttered. "You heard yourself, you know if I'm with you nothing can happen and...and if they can't handle it well that's their problem." I said looking up at him I could feel my eyes tearing up. "Y-ya, th-that works." He said pacing back and forth then sitting down putting his head in his hands. "Steve...you don't have to come." I said rubbing his hand. "This-this was a promise that I'd always be there for you." He said rubbing my ring. "And that's not ending now." He kissed my hand and pulled me in for a hug. I could feel myself crying into his shirt, but knowing I had someone by my side made all of this worth it.