Ch. 8

—————————
Lucy's POV
—————————

Smoke came from the ground where my house once stood.

"It's gone." Tears started to well in my eyes. I clutched Natsus hand as we stood and looked at what was left.

"Everything is gone!" I briskly walked over to the rubble and started to rummage through it.
I was looking for something important.

"The safe." I whispered.

"What safe?" Natsu slowly made his way up behind me. He put his hand on my shoulder as I was digging around.

"The safe! I bought a safe a while back to put my letters in!! I need to find the safe!! It has everything I want to say and feel and remember about my mother!!! I need that safe Natsu!!" The tears dripped from my eyes and fell to the ground. I looked down at my now ash blackened hands and stared at them.

My home. All I own. All WE owned. It's gone. What are we gonna do? We can't live at the guild the rest of our lives! We have Sophia now!

That damned child.

My face scrunched as the thoughts raged in my head.

She was the cause of all this.

"Lu," Natsu squatted down beside me. "We can fix this. We can rebuild! It's going to be ok."

"Don't you get it? We just lost EVERYTHING!" I stood up from the spot we were in. Natsu stood with me. He gave me a sad look and tried to hold my hand. I yanked it away. The anger in my body was so overwhelming.

"All that we had. All we planned to have. Is GONE!" I started to point my finger at his chest all while taking steps at him. He stumbled back. "All because you brought some CHILD to my door! A child that isn't even MINE!" The tears of anger flowed down my face. Pictures of Sophia flashed in my head.

What did I just say?

My eyes went wide in shock.

"You mean our child." Natsu put his head down. His hair fell in front of his eyes.

"The child that needed help. The child that YOU-" Natsu started to push me back. "said you would help me with."

"I know I-"

"SHES A CHILD LUCY." Natsu screamed at me.

"A CHILD WHO WAS LEFT ALONE. WITH NO FAMILY." He was inches from my face. I have rarely been scared of Natsu. Now is one of those times.

"A child like me. Who didn't really have anyone till he found the guild. His true family." Natsu had tears in his eyes.

"You don't want this Lucy, fine. Run. Do whatever your little heart pleases." He started at me in the eyes. He quickly wiped his tears from his cheeks and stormed off.

I watched his figure get farther and farther away while I just stood there.

I quickly wiped the tears from my cheeks and continued to dig. I needed to find that safe. It was the only thing holding me together.

Why did you say that?!

I dug and dug some more.

What were you thinking?!

The tears just kept on coming.

You idiot! How could-

My fingers hit something hard. I found it! I finally found it. I pulled the safe from the spot, quickly put in the code, and cracked the door open. All of my letters were safe. Everything that I will ever need is right here.