Chapter 1

A bell was heard throughout the house, signalling that it was time for dinner. I fell into step beside Five as the eight of us entered into the dining room. Mom was standing to the side, smiling proudly at us.

There were four chairs on each side of the table. Seating Vanya, Five, Allison, and I on one side and Luther, Ben, Klaus, and Diego on the other.

We stood patiently behind our seats, awaiting our Fathers arrival. It came. He stood behind the only seat at the end of table, observing each and every one of us.

"Sit," he said loudly.

Everyone sat down in sync, digging into their food straight away. Everyone except Five. He shot me a side glance before looking straight at his Father. His face grew angrier before he stuck his knife straight into the table.

I flinched slightly, looking over at him with wide eyes.

"Number Five?" Reginald asked sternly.

"I have a question," Five said, clasping his hands together.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtime," Reginald replied, not looking at Five. "You are interrupting Herr Carlson,"

Five scoffed and let his cutlery clatter onto his plate.

"I want to time travel," Five told Reginald.

"No," Reginald denied, annoyance in his voice.

"But I'm ready! I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said," Five demonstrated by appearing right next to Reginald. "See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn," Reginald told Five, taking a sip of his drink.

"Well, I don't get it," Five said quietly.

"Hence the reason you're not ready," Reginald continued carelessly.

Five looked over at me a second. I shook my head quickly, trying to get him to drop it and sit down.

He looked away from me and back at Reginald, an angry look on his face once again.

"I'm not afraid," he told him.

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable," Reginald dropped his cutlery and looked at Five sternly. "Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore,"

Five furrowed his brow and looked back at me. It almost looked as though he was about to apologize. As quickly as he looked at me, he looked away and walked towards the door.

"Number Five! You haven't been excused!" Reginald said loudly as Five sped away.

"Five wait!" I yelled as Five ran out the doors of the Umbrella Academy.

I got up from my seat at our dining room table and ran after him. I couldn't lose him. He was the one thing keeping me sane at that place.