Chapter 13

"Care for dessert?"

Five and I were sitting beside each other, across from The Handler in her office.

"I had a bad Twinkie in the apocalypse once. It kind of put me off desserts," Five declined.

The Handler pursed her lips and pushed the bowl towards me.

"None for me," I smiled sarcastically.

"Please, indulge me," The Handler persisted.

Five sighed and grabbed a handful of the candies that The Handler had in a bowl. She leaned back in her chair and lit a cigarette. Five looked at her and popped one of the candies into his mouth.

"What's that taste like to you?" she asked.

Five sucked on the candy for a second before answering.

"The 1950s?"

"Precisely right," The Handler smiled. "Our clever metaphysics division concocted away to perfectly distill an entire decade into a single candy,"

Five leaned back in his chair slightly.

"Remarkable," he muttered.

"You'll be happy to know it's the very division that's building your new bodies," The Handler continued. "Oh, that reminds me. I have something for the two of you,"

The woman pressed a button on her phone.

"Carla?" she asked.

"Yes?"

"Would you bring the box in, please?"

"Certainly,"

The Handler lifted her hand from the phone and smiled at Five and I. Footsteps sounded from the doorway and a woman walked in holding a box. She set the box down in between Five and I. The Handler walked up behind us, smiling.

"Go ahead. Open it,"

Five and I exchanged looks before Five lifted the the lid off of the box. Inside, there were two uniforms. Perfect for the Commission.

"Clothes make the man. And woman, of course," The Handler commented. "Won't it be nice when you can actually wear them? Very soon, I assure you. They're perfecting your bodies as we speak,"

Five held the clothing in his hand before looking up at The Handler.

"Thank you," he breathed.

I looked from the fine uniform and back up to the woman beside me.

"It's a very fine gift," I confirmed.

~

Dot rushed across the hallway, a capsule in her hand. She entered the room that Gloria was currently in. Five and I were hidden around the corner, watching the scene secretively.

Five grabbed my hand quickly before blinking into the room and pressing me against the wall, hiding us from view.

"Gloria, The Handler knows that Five and Keely are up to something," Dot whispered, handing they capsule over to Gloria. "Get this to Hazel and Cha-Cha immediately,"

Gloria looked at the capsule unsurely.

"Immediately!" Dot urged.

Gloria nodded quickly and took the capsule from her.

"Okay. Yeah,"

Dot sped out of the room and Five stepped away from me, letting me off of the wall.