Chapter 18

"Look for Vanya. She might have come back here," Five told me, walking up the main stairs.

"On it," I nodded, splitting up from him.

I checked every room in the Academy. Nothing. Vanya was nowhere to be found. I walked back towards the stairs where I found Five, Diego, and Klaus all standing.

"No sign of Vanya," Five informed us.

"She's not in any of the rooms," I added.

"She's not downstairs either," Klaus continued.

"Well, I'm out," Diego told us, patting me on the shoulder and walking towards the stairs.

"Wait, wait," Klaus interjected, turning to look at him.

"Where are you going?" I asked. "Vanya's still out there, and so are Hazel and Cha-Cha,"

"I know. I'm gonna get my things and then I'm outta here," Diego added, stopping. "I've got some unfinished business with those fools,"

He turned and continued walking, disappearing from sight. Klaus sighed and leaned against the railing.

"Hey, did Dad say anything about the apocalypse when you spoke to him?" Five asked him. "Any clues to how it happens?"

"No. No clues. Truly terrific shave. But, no clues," Klaus replied solemnly.

Five sighed and started for the stairs. Me and Klaus looked at each other and took off after him.

"You know, come to think of it, he did mention something about my potential, and how I've barely scratched the surface of my-," Klaus ranted as we followed Five down the stairs.

"How did he know about the apocalypse?" Five asked, interrupting Klaus.

"I don't know, but listen. This whole jumping through time thing of yours, how did you- how did you know how to do that?" Klaus stuttered while we all entered the main level.

Klaus and Five came face-to-face and I stood watching by the stairs.

"I didn't! You'd actually realize that if you were sober," Five spat.

"Hey, I am sober. I've been sober for two- almost two days now!" Klaus whined.

"Yeah, two days," Five scoffed.

"It feels like 45 years," Klaus mumbled.

"Who are you kidding Klaus? I've seen you fidgeting all day," Five snapped.

"Oh, well, I guess we're both fighting our addictions, then," Klaus retorted.

"I'm not an addict," Five argued.

Klaus walked towards him.

"Yeah, you are. You're addicted to a drug called the apocalypse," Klaus said, bending over and coming face-to-face with Five.

"You're wrong," Five said through gritted teeth.

"First sign. Denial," Klaus said, straightening up and turning around.