Chapter 16

"Get up, we're going," Five said, walking into Klaus's room.

Klaus was laying in his bed shirtless, looking up at Five and I as we entered.

"Where?" he asked.

"To save the world," I replied, sitting on the end of his bed.

"Oh is that all? Great," Klaus sighed while getting out of bed.

"So, Pogo said Dad killed himself to get us all back together, right?" Five said while pacing the room.

"Yeah, so?" Klaus asked, throwing on some clothes.

Since this mornings conversation in the kitchen, Five had gone over this theory with me at least 100 times. I knew exactly what he was about to say.

"How did he know to kill himself a week before the end of the world?" I commented.

"Exactly. Dad can't time travel so how would he know?" Five continued.

"Well, you know-," Klaus started, pulling on a sock.

"Don't answer. That was purely rhetorical," Five interrupted. "Truth is, our whole lives, he's been telling us we'd save the world from an impending apocalypse,"

"Yeah, but I always thought he just said that to scare us into doing the dishes," Klaus shrugged.

"Me too. But what if the old man really knew it was going to happen?" Five went on.

"Yeah, but knew how?" Klaus asked.

"No idea. But the fact remains, his fakakta plan worked," Five continued.

"We all came home," I added. "Since we're all here, we might as well save the world,"

"Oh yeah? What, like, the three of us?" Klaus asked.

"Well, ideally, no, but... I've got to work with what I got," Five said walking out of the room.

"Oh, alright we're going now," I muttered, jumping up from the bed.

I followed the pair out of the room where I noticed Diego running down the hallway.

"Where have you been?" I asked.

"Jail," Diego answered briefly before running into his room.

"What?" Five asked.

"Long story. Where's Luther?" Diego asked from his room.

"Haven't seen him since breakfast," I replied.

"Yeah, two days til the world ends he picks a great time to drop off the grid," Klaus said sarcastically.

Diego stood in the doorway of his room, shaking his head.

"Shit. Allison is in danger," he explained.

Me and Five exchanged looks.

"I thought she was going to find Vanya?" I pondered.

"And Vanya is with Harold Jenkins," Diego pointed out.

"Shit,"

~

Klaus placed himself in the passengers seat while Diego sat in the drivers. Klaus claimed to have an idea of where Luther could be.

After giving Diego directions for a good 20 minutes, we pulled up to a shitty bar and I raised my eyebrows.

"Why would he be here?" I asked.

"This is the only bar I ever showed the lump," Klaus answered, hopping out of the car.

The three of us followed, pushing open the door to the bar and spotting Luther at the far end.

"Look," Klaus muttered, pointing him out.

Klaus marched over to him and put his hand on the table.

"Trying a little hair of the dog, are we? Hm?" he mocked.

"Leave me alone," Luther muttered, glancing up at us.

Diego sighed before sitting down across from Luther.

"Give us a minute," he said, waving us away.

"Okay. Come on. Maybe they'll brood each other to death," Klaus ushered.

Five, Klaus and I walked over to the other side of the bar and leaned against the wall, watching the two men talk at the table.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I asked, looking over to Klaus.

"Oh, probably how to get away from us," Klaus concluded, picking at his fingernails.

I put my hands to my side and felt Fives fingers interlock with mine. I looked down at our hands before looking straight ahead and smirking slightly.

Klaus sighed and tapped his wrist while looking over at Diego, imitating a watch.

"You should have led with that!" I heard Luther yell while getting up from the table.

Luther stormed out of the bar with Diego hot on his heels. Klaus grabbed my shoulders and pushed Five and I out of the doors and towards the car.

Luther squeezed into the back seat of the car with Diego and Klaus while Five and I crawled into the front.

~

We had been driving for a long time. I didn't know where I was going but Five seemed to know exactly where Allison was.

"Hey. Can you go any faster?" Luther asked while leaning in between me and Five.

"Ask me again, and I'll burn you with the cigarette lighter," Five said while keeping his eyes on the road.

I couldn't help but feel worried for Allison. I fidgeted with my hands while looking out with the window with worry etched into my face.

When we finally did arrive, however, Luther was the first to get out of the car. He sped up the stairs of the patio and into the house. The rest of us following closely behind.

We entered the house and I froze. Allison was on the floor, a pool of crimson surrounding her frail body. My hand flew to my mouth and I stumbled back slightly.

"Allison! No!" Luther cried, kneeling down beside the woman.

Five walked in soon after and I stumbled into his chest. His arms wrapped around me as tears rolled down my cheeks.