Chapter 3

Five and I had pulled up to a small diner. A diner that I recognized from my childhood. Griddy's Doughnuts.

I followed Five inside and we sat down at the bar. Five rang a small bell and sighed slightly. Seconds after, A large man walked in and sat down beside Five.

"Sorry, sink was clogged,"

A waitress dressed in pink walked around the back of the counter. She took out a notepad and looked at the man.

"So, what'll it be?" she asked.

"Uh, give me a chocolate éclair," the man answered.

The waitress nodded before glancing over at me and Five.

"Can I get the kids some milk or something?" she asked.

I looked at her with confusion before Five spoke up.

"The kids will have coffee. Black," he seethed.

The woman looked at Five uneasily and looked back to the man.

"Cute kid," she chuckled uncomfortably.

Five gave a sarcastic smile when the woman looked back at the two of us. She disappeared into the kitchen before returning with our drinks.

"Don't remember this place being such a shithole," Five said, looking over at the man beside him. "I used to come here as a kid. " Used to sneak out with my brothers and sisters and eat doughnuts till we puked,"

"Simpler times, huh," I added, smiling at the memory.

The man looked at the pair of us confusedly.

"Er- I suppose,"

When the waitress came back with the bill, the man took out his card, glancing at us.

"I got theirs," he said.

Five looked over at him thoughtfully.

"Thanks," he said simply.

After the man had finished his snack, he got up and muttered a goodbye to the two of us before leaving the diner.

As soon as he left, however, the door chimed and I tensed slightly. Something was wrong. I looked in the reflection of the bell sitting in front of me and could see four armed men creeping up behind Five and I.

Five glanced over at me, signalling that he had noticed as well.

"Hm. That was fast," he said calmly. "Thought we'd have more time before they found us,"

I glanced over at him, a nervous look on my face.

"Okay. So let's all be professional about this, yeah?" The man with a gun pointed directly at Fives head said slowly. "On your feet and come with us. They want to talk,"

"I've got nothing to say," Five said simply.

"It doesn't have to go this way," The armed man replied. "You think I want to shoot a couple of kids? Go home with that on my conscience?"