Chapter 9

"From what I could gather we have four days left,"

I rubbed my eyes and sat up slowly. I was in some kind of boiler room. Five was sitting at the end of the bed, talking to Luther about something.

"Why didn't you say something sooner?" Luther asked.

"It wouldn't have mattered," Five muttered.

"Of course it would!" Luther said angrily. "We could've banded together and helped you try and stop this thing!"

"For the record, you already tried," Five said.

"What do you mean?" Luther asked.

Five looked down at his hands sadly.

"We found all of you," Five said slowly.

"Your bodies," I added, scooting down the bed and sitting down beside Five.

"We die?" Luther asked.

Five looked back up at him and nodded slowly.

"Horribly," he said solemnly.

"You were together, trying to stop whoever it was that ended the world," I said slowly.

Luther had a distant look in his eyes. He shook his head slightly before looking back towards us.

"Wait, how do you know that?" he asked.

Five pulled the prosthetic eye out of his pocket and handed it to Luther.

"This was clutched in your dead hand when we found you," Five explained. "Must've ripped it out of their head right before you went down," Five continued.

"Whose head?" Luther asked.

"Like I said, we don't know," Five answered.

"Well, there's a serial number on the back," Luther suggested hopefully.

"Already tried that," I told him. "It's just another hunk of glass,"

Luther handed the eye back to Five.

"Piece of shit," Diego grumbled as he kicked open the door.

Luther stood up quickly and looked towards Diego as he rushed down the stairs and towards us.

"Do you have any idea what you just did?" Diego snapped while pointing at Five and I.

Diego lunged at Five and I before Luther grabbed and lifted him up into the air, preventing him from attacking the two of us.

"No! Let me- Get your ape hands off me!" Diego yelled in frustration.

"I can do this as long as it takes you to calm down," Luther said calmly.

"Fine," Diego said while panting.

Luther set Diego back down and looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"Now, wanna tell us what you're talkin' about?" he asked.

"Our brother and sister here have been pretty busy since they got back," Diego said accusingly.

"They were in the middle of that shootout at Griddy's-" he ranted. "and then at Gimble Brothers, after the guys in masks attacked the Academy, looking for them," Diego finished.

"None of which is any of your concern," Five snapped.

"It is now. They just killed my friend," Diego said sadly.

My face fell slightly.

"Diego-,"

"Who are they?" Luther asked seriously.