Chapter 9 - Game on

A week had passed since the old mill events and the two girls had already forgotten about it. They'd spent these past seven days cleaning and laughing and fighting and laughing again, so much that when Alaric told them they were done doing chores in their free time, they both tried to hide their disappointment. Even though it took a while for Hope to get used to it, being Lizzie's friend wasn't something she would ever complain about. As much as she wished it was more, their friendship meant the world to her and she wasn't gonna screw that up. Again.

It was Sunday and everyone was at the soccer field, today was the witches against vamps match. Lizzie's arm was still too fragile to play but she'd promised to Josie she would be there for emotional support. When she arrived, her eyes unwittingly searched for Hope but the tribrid was nowhere to be found. 

"Hey, have you seen Hope?" Lizzie asked MG who happened to be next to her at that moment, doing some warm-ups.

"Not today, no." he returned but seeing her bummed out, he continued "But I think I heard her at dinner yesterday, saying that she might set this one out."

"Oh. Okay, thanks, MG." Lizzie said settled and looked at her sister, who was too preoccupied with her girlfriend to notice she would be gone for a while.

The blonde arrived at the tribrid's door five minutes later and knocked twice. When the girl opened Lizzie felt offended by how unprepared her friend was for the game.

"Why are you still undressed?" she lectured the sleepy tribrid while storming into her room.

"Because I'm sleeping?" returned Hope rubbing her left eye.

"Why are you not playing?" Lizzie asked.

"On which team?" she said folding her arms.

"That's true." Lizzie shrugged. "Well, that doesn't give you the right to skip it altogether. If I have to endure watching this game, then so do you." 

"C'mooon, I barely slept last night." Hope complained like a kid that doesn't want to go to school.

"Why, what's up?" 

"Nothing, I was just thinking.. the Necromancer hasn't showed up yet." the shorter girl noticed worried.

"And he's not going to." Lizzie spat out with a steady, certain voice to calm her down.

"How do you know?"

"Because." Lizzie shrugged "I know people like him. He likes to talk a lot but never actually does anything. It's been two weeks. He would have made his move already."

"Perhaps you're right." Hope gave it some thought.

"I usually am." she primped her blonde hair. "Now, get dressed. You're coming with me."

Hope sighed but followed Lizzie's orders.

              *         *         *

Ten minutes later, the two girls were on the bench, joining the rest of the team. 

"Where have you been? I thought you bailed." Josie lectured her twin once she got back.

"I would never." Lizzie said shocked but the looks she got in return suggested otherwise, so, she added "Okay, I would. But I'm here, as promised. Hope wanted to join me."

"I-"

"You wanted to join me!" Lizzie insisted turning to face the tribrid next to her.