Chapter 11 - Three days

"Come on, we need to hurry." Jade yelled outside of the well-known family grave.

"We're here, let's go." Hope declared as she came out of the shattered building, carrying the unconscious siphon in her arms.

The two girls were about to begin their way back when the Necromancer ruined their plans once more, appearing in front of them from a cloud of dark smoke.

"You, dear witch, are becoming more and more predictable every time we meet." he remarked, as the tribrid laid her friend on the ground to be ready to fight if needed. "I don't even have to chase you no more, I take one and the entire school comes to the rescue."

"You got what you wanted, just let us go." Hope asked politely, considering the hate she had for that man. 

"Did I? Because at the beginning of this day, I had planned on murdering two filthy creatures. But alright. Maybe I could make a little compromise for my favorite tribrid. I'm willing to let you keep only one of your beloved pets. I'll even allow you to make the choice." he claimed too pleased with himself and the position he'd just put the girl in. "So, young sorceress, who's it gonna be?"

"You're sick." Hope couldn't believe she had to do this again.

"I'll give you a moment. This is a big decision, after all. How about thirty seconds?" if there was something the Necromancer enjoyed more than power was emotionally torturing people. 

"I- uh.. I can't. I won't." she declared determined.

"Very well, I will do it for you, then. This one is available." he said approaching towards the unconscious girl.

"No!" Hope jumped in front of Lizzie's lying body without giving a second thought to it.

"Huh. You decided, after all. See, that wasn't so hard." The Necromancer laughed uncontrollably, truly enjoying himself. "Now, if you'll excuse me, there is a certain bird that needs to be taken care of. You're free to go, Miss Mikaelson. This time." 

And with that, he was gone.

Hope stared at the void his disappearance had created, completely lost, until tears started to stream down her cheeks. She couldn't react, think, move. She couldn't breathe. 

"I'm so sorry" the vampire said honestly, bringing the girl back to reality.

"Let's just go." Hope returned detached, pulling herself together and wiping her tears before she got up and lifted Lizzie in her arms again.

                  *             *             *

The tribrid woke up in a cold sweat.

The event had taken place three days ago, yet the nightmares didn't seem to leave Hope's mind. Just when she was making progress, the guilt came back stronger than ever, consuming her, destroying everything she'd strived for. She hadn't left her room since the night she made sure the siphon was okay. She couldn't deal with the world. With her. Hope had to make a choice again, and she'd chosen everyone but Landon. Again. Only this time, it wasn't down to him or the entire school, or even a family. It was him or her. And that made it that much worse.

Of course, it wasn't Lizzie's fault, she didn't even know what had really happened, only what the tribrid herself had explained to her that very night. She shouldn't have to carry the burden of Landon's death, Hope decided, so, skipped the part where she doomed her boyfriend's life to save her. That was something only she deserved to be haunted by. Yet every time Lizzie had tried to contact her, she would avoid her. She knew it wasn't fair to her, she knew it, but the sight of the blonde was a constant reminder of her own failure and she couldn't take any more of this right now.