Chapter 7

She followed the directions that he had given her and yet she wasn't even sure if she was going in the right direction as she passed by all the suburban houses. "14018" Elena mumbled to herself as she turned down the radio that had been blasting Ron Pope's "Heartfelt Lies" from its speakers as she drove slowly and then stopped in front of a two story house that had dark colored stones in the front of it and a white wraparound porch. The lights were on and from the looks of it a black Porsche was sitting in the driveway, that's how she knew it was his house.

Elena was 10 minutes early as she parked the car by the curb and waited. She had already checked her makeup and re straightened her hair about ten times by the time she had just walked from her apartment to her car. She was nervous and it showed as her hands shook. God, she hadn't been on a date in more than a year and the worst part of it was that it was her...hunky boss and the fact that he was her ex's younger brother. "I can't be thinking about Damon right now...what the hell!" Elena mumbled in a frustrated tone as she flipped on the light in her car and fixed her makeup for the tenth time, surely she looked fine and the same, since the last time she had checked it. But, still it was nervous habit.

As Elena shut the door to her red mustang and locked it. She stood straight and straightened out the fabric on her light pink and medium length dress and then she flipped her long brown hair over her shoulder as she placed her white clutch under her right arm and walked up the stairs to his house. As she stood on the porch, she could smell the flowing and abundant smell of delicious Italian food. She smiled at thought of him alone in his kitchen, cooking and probably listening to Jack Johnson as he made his way through making dinner for them.

Just as she let out a laugh at the silliness of her thought, her heart caught in her throat as she heard the door unlock and his forest green eyes meet her curious brown ones.

"Hi. You're here." Stefan commented with a smile as she felt her cheeks blush a little bit and then she cleared her throat to speak.

"Hi. Yeah, I made it. Thanks for the directions by the way...they really helped." She commented as she placed her hands onto the clutch that was under her arms and then she smiled at him sheepishly.

Elena watched as Stefan stepped out of the way and gestured for her to come in. As he did so, he once again placed his hand gently on the middle of her back which sent a slight chill down her spine.

Stefan had noticed that as she made her way through his house that she had quickly glanced at the now bare tan colored walls. "I actually just started...redecorating." He commented quietly as he made his way into the kitchen and took out a bottle of wine.

"Stefan...if this is too...I don't know...weird for you-I can just..." She began to say as he cut her off.

"Nonsense...Elena, don't be ridiculous. I need to move on from her...and I'm sure you need the same from my brother. So, let's just not think about them and enjoy tonight...Plus, I would hate all this good food that I made go to waste. I hope you like stuffed chicken with peppers and salad...oh and tiramisu." He told her as he found two wine glasses and poured them both a glass.

"You know...they're probably going to talk about this at the office...I mean, all of them. You're my boss Stefan...How's that going to look?" She asked him nervously as she heard him let out a loud laugh. Stefan rolled up the sleeves on his long sleeve grey button up shirt and then he gave her a smile.

"Elena, it's not a date. It's just dinner between two people who need a break. We need a break from the shit that life handed out. So, please let's sit down, drink a glass of this good red wine and eat this food I made before it gets cold." He told her as he once again gave her a smile and then guided her into the lavish dining room.