Chapter 11

Her brown eyes had only seen a flash of red as she walked past the perfectly styled hair and skinny jeans bitch that had just introduced herself as Katherine Pierce.

Elena didn't even knock on the door as she pulled on the door to his office. She really wasn't even sure what the hell she was going to tell him once she watched him look up at her with a confused expression on his perfectly clean shaven face.

"I thought that you were going to-"Stefan began to say as Elena cut him off.

"I just met Katherine, Who is she? Oh and why did she have this stupid glistening look of mischief in her eyes when she told me that she was your friend.. Your lover..What is she to you!" She asked him in a demanding tone as she placed her hands on her hips, tapping her foot impatiently as she heard Stefan clear his throat and then he locked his eyes with hers.

"I can explain..I promise." He told her as he looked her over. She was fuming with angry...maybe it was jealousy even.

"Are you jealous?" Stefan asked her with a chuckle as he saw her scrunched her nose at him in frustration as she shook her head. "No, not one bit." Elena lied.

"Your jealous and scared...Elena you're not that hard to read. You've got this pissed off streak about you. Look, Katherine isn't a threat to you." He said reassuringly.

"Well, then..Why did she get all starry eyed when she said your name in this disgustingly seductive way." She asked him.

"That's what I'll explain. I promise...just give me the chance. Tonight?" Stefan asked with a hopeful tone.

"Fine! But, just friends...I'm still pissed off at you." Elena commented in an irritated tone as she watched Stefan give her a smirk.

"We'll see about that." He told her confidently as he watched her turn on her heels and leave his office without another word.

XXXX

Hours later as Stefan looked through a stake of documents for his upcoming trial. He heard another knock and then the door flung open, before he could even say come in. Damon made his way into the room with a huge grin on his face.

"Brother! You work to hard...Wanna go out?" Damon asked him as he eyed the stack of papers that were now scattered across Stefan's desk.

"Damon...I have plans." Stefan told him.

Damon rolled his eyes and knitted his eye brows together as he looked his brother over and then walked over and sat down in a chair that was in the corner of the room. "So, Did Rebekah ever sign those papers? I know how much you want to get rid of her and that stunt you pulled...I heard about that. Look, Stefan. Maybe dating Elena isn't the best way to you know...get over Rebekah." Damon told him as he leaned into the chair more and laced his fingers behind his head.

He watched as Stefan shook his head and then huffed out a breath. "Who said I was dating Elena. We've gone out a few times and we're just...friends." Stefan said as he briefly looked at his brother and then back down at the document that was in front of him.

"That's not what I heard." Damon commented.

"What? You're hearing things...Ha. Shit, from who?" Stefan asked.

"Does it matter from who...I just suggest that you keep your personal life out of the office...Maybe start with not sleeping with your new assistant...After not even one week of her being on the job." Damon told him with a shrug of the shoulders as he placed his hands on his knees and then got up from the chair that he had been sitting in and looked over at Stefan. Damon could tell that he had hit a nerve within his little brother and he was enjoying every minute of watching Stefan squirm.

"Damon, Who told you?" Stefan tried to ask him again, but he just watched as Damon lifted his eyebrows at him and shook his head. "I was sworn to secrecy....Told him that I wouldn't tell a soul."

"Him? Who is he!" Stefan said as he got up from behind his desk and walked over to Damon's side, determination in his eyes as he gave his brother a stern look.

"Ha...Ask your new assistant...What she's been hiding...or who for that matter." Damon told him as he laughed it off as if he had said nothing at all, and then walked out of the room with a sinister grin on his face.

XXXX

It was only 12:30 and the time seemed to be going way slower than he had hoped as Stefan walked out the office and ran down the stairs. He needed to get out of there to get some of the sun and fresh air that had been circulating around the whole day, but he had been so swamped with the Jennings's case that once he noticed that he couldn't stay focused anymore, he knew he needed a break. It was his signal to get up and step away from the work that had been consuming him for a while now.

Yet, as he walked past Wilmington & Collins, he crossed the street and made his way towards the only place in the busy Chicago downtown area where he felt like he could think clearly. After all, it was definitely what he had needed since he had Damon's words from earlier swirling in his head.

He was pissed off at himself and he was pissed off at their situation because if she had just been a girl that he had bumped into without the fact that she worked at Wilmington & Collins and had long ago dated his older brother. Then maybe their lives would have been crossing at a perfect time, maybe it wouldn't be so complicated and they could just be together without all the obstacles they were facing. Yet, Stefan couldn't help but think about that fact that since he had met her, just weeks ago...She had already started to make a impression on him that stuck with him. Even, when he would lay in his bed in the middle of the night and let his mind wonder, he would somehow always think about her.

Just as Stefan made his way to a bench and sat down. He inhaled the smell of the afternoon air and took in the sunlight that hit his skin and made him instantly relaxed. He closed his eyes for a brief moment to clear his head. But just as he did so, he heard that familiar and soft voice.

"You come down here too?" She asked him with a smile on her beautiful face as her long brown hair blew in the wind. There was no denying that Elena walking up behind him was a surprise. But what seemed to surprise him most was that when he heard her calming at relaxed voice, his chest tightened and his heart beat picked up.