Chapter 12

Elena walked up to him and sat down. She wasn't even sure where to begin because she was still fuming inside from her disagreement with Stefan. But, when she looked over at him, she could tell that his mind was elsewhere.

"Are you seeing someone else?" He asked her suddenly, breaking the tension filled air around them and looking out towards the small waves that passed through in the water.

"What?" She asked in a confused tone.

"I mean, I know that you and I aren't officially dating. But, I like you...a lot and I want to start over...If you're dating someone else, how am I supposed to do that?" He asked her as he turned towards her, placing his arm behind her on the back of the bench that they sat on.

"Who told you I was dating someone?" Elena asked him in curious tone.

Stefan's silence seemed almost deafening as Elena leaned over to try to look him in the eyes. But, he instead avoided her gaze. "My brother." He said softly.

"Damon? Oh No." She sighed as she placed her hands in her lap and leaned back to look over at the water that was hitting against some rocks that were close to the grassy shoreline.

"I can explain. But, first will you do something for me?" Elena asked him as she watched his body tense as he turned his head to look at her.

"Sure, what do you want?" He asked.

"Tell me, who Katherine Pierce is and why was she leaving your office this morning?" She questioned.

"Ha...You met Katherine. Ohh, Great! Where do I start?" Stefan asked as he placed his hands above his head in frustration and leaned back into the bench.

Elena remained silent as she watched Stefan try to gather his thoughts and then he cleared his throat. "Katherine is an ex-girlfriend of sorts. After Rebekah left me, I dated her for a few months. But, the girl hasn't accepted that I'm not interested in her. I mean, she's pretty. But, she's totally not my type." He explained.

"So, she's like stalking you or something?" Elena asked him with a curious tone.

"You could say that...more like she pops up out of nowhere and tries to ruin me if I start up anything with another beautiful woman." He told her truthfully.

Elena smiled at that and then she lifted up her hand to stop him from explaining further. "Why don't you just file a restraining order or arrest her?" She asked him.

Stefan let out a laugh as he looked over at her. "Elena, I've tried believe me...The only way to get away from Katherine is to throw her in a jail cell and have her stay there!" Stefan told her sternly as he shifted in his seat.

"So, why don't you?" She asked.

Stefan let out a sigh as he chuckled at her question. "Because, Katherine always manages to find a way around it. It's like she knows someone in the damn police department that helps her avoid any charges or anything like that." He explained as he watched Elena's facial expression harden.

"That's ridiculous..Who could she possibly know that helps her avoid getting a restraining order against her. She's technically harassing you!" Elena nearly shouted as her face got red with a slight hint of anger. It pissed her off that Katherine wouldn't just let Stefan live his life in peace.

"I have no idea." He commented softly.

"So, Can we talk about this thing that Damon mentioned..?" Stefan asked her in a stern voice.

"Well, since we are technically starting over and taking this slow...not to mention being honest. Why not? I'm not dating anyone Stefan and I like you too. I want to see where this goes with you. But, I need us to take whatever it is that is going on between us and take it slower." She told him candidly.

"If you're not dating anyone, then why did Damon tell me that you were or that-." He began to say as Elena cut him off.

"I did date a guy that was Damon's best friend. This was at a company fundraiser and I was trying to get over Damon with him. I was a mess after Damon and I broke up and I just needed someone to hang out with...instead of going alone. But, it back fired because Damon became jealous and irate at that fact that I was there with some other guy. I mean, now the two guys hate each other...But, oh my god." Elena said suddenly as she watched Stefan look at her with an alarmed expression on his face.

"What is it?" He asked.

Elena ran her hands through her hair and then let out a drawn out breath. "Damn it! I totally forgot that Matt had said that he lived in your part of town...I mean, Shit!" She cursed.

"The guy you dated for a while lives in my neighborhood and he must of seen you at my house...Don't you think that's a little farfetched?" Stefan asked her.

"Not when Damon and Matt used to be best friends and now they can't stand each other because of me. It's they're way of getting back at me for breaking up their close bond." She explained.

"That's ridiculous...I mean, maybe they were just using you as an excuse to really hide that they didn't really want to be friends anymore." Stefan tried to say, hoping to calm her nerves.

"Stefan, with them...anything is possible. They were best friends all throughout college and then a girl tore them apart...me. Look, I will explain more soon. Right now, I need to go and finish some unsettled business." Elena told him as she stood up and fixed her wrinkled clothing before fast walking away from the bench and leaving Stefan sitting where she had found him.

XXXX

Elena made her way into Wilmington & Collins as she by passed all the people who were coming out of the building. She quickly ran up the stairs and made her way to his office. Elena didn't give a crap if he was in a conference or talking to someone of the phone; she needed to settle this once in for all.

She quickly opened the door and then she saw his smirk and that surprised smile of his that seemed to make his eyes glisten. "You're cute when you're pissed." He commented with a laugh. But, Elena wasn't having any of his jokes, she was fuming.

"Have you not learned that I don't give a damn about you anymore! Damon you hurt me with sleeping with Caroline! Caroline of all people...a person I used to call my best friend." Elena nearly shouted as she closed the door shut behind her.

Damon looked her over and then smiled. "Oh and you never hurt me...the fundraiser and you going there with Matt. God, Elena you are such a hypocrite." He scoffed.

"A hypocrite? Your one to talk! Let's get this clear and straightened out. Stay away from me and anyone that I date! Because, it is none of your damn business as to who I see or who I sleep with! Understood?" She said angrily.

Damon nodded and then he smiled at her with a wide grin. "Should I relay this information to Matt too...I mean, that is if you don't want any more office drama with your little budding relationship with my brother." He commented as he lifted his feet up on his desk and leaned back into his leather office chair.

"You tell Matt to stay the hell away from me too! Oh and for the record, I never slept with Matt...that's something that you made up and began to believe!" Elena shot back as she glared at him and then stormed out of his office, shutting the door forcefully as she closed the door behind her and Damon watched as the walls in his office rattled a bit.