Chapter 12: Hold Me Tight, I'm Broken

***

***

August 13, 2020

“Mom see father isn't coming back, why is he still abroad. You are so sick, and he doesn't even care.” Zoheb spoke softly sitting near his sick mother. The lady smiled...a broken one. The pale face holding pain and her hollow black eyes holding whirlwind of emotions. His hands shook as he caressed her hair.

“He… He might be...be busy.” The shivering voice failed to hide the hurt, the traitorous tears escaped her eyes. How cruel could fate be? He was just a sixteen years old boy, but the maturity the life had gifted me was worst.

“Zoheb it's alright child, I know your father must be very busy. It's not like I am dying now.” His mother spoke chuckling dryly, his head shot up and eyes held fury.

“Mom, don't say anything like that. I beg you.” He spoke in a stern voice. How could she do this? Losing her wasn't something he had ever imagined. She was his only support.

“One day I have to go away, don't I? Just remember, never lose hope.” She spoke making him hold her cold hands in his warm one. Shaking his head as if it would change the destiny but then it's destiny...no one has a hold on it except the Lord.

“Mom, my only hope are you.” He whispered, his eyes tearing up.

“You will find one hope...the one who will always bring you out of your troubles. The one who will be with you even if I am gone. Trust yourself, you will find your hope.” It was getting difficult for her to speak, the itchiness of her throat making her cough badly. Shameel who was standing beside the bed forwarded the glass of water as fast as he could.

Making her drink the water he smiled seeing her smile in return, he knew he could bring down the world at her feet for that smile. She gestured him to come closer. He instantly laid his head on her arm and held her tightly, fearing she would disappear if left. She slowly caressed his head, the way she always did...humming at the very familiar tune.

“Remember Zoheb, don't hurt the one you love or the one who loves you. Promise me.” She spoke with heavy voice as if trying to hold back her sobs.

“I promise.” He spoke still clutching like a baby, crying silently.

“Now go and sleep baby, we will talk in the morning.” She spoke urging him to go.

“No I will stay here.” He protested making her shake her head.

“Stay.” She whispered making him lie in the same position he was lying a moment back. Shameel smiled with glistening eyes and went outside.

“Sleep my baby...your mom is just here. She will always be.” She whispered and that's what he had heard the last time before falling into oblivion and the last time she spoke before falling into deep slumber...the eternal slumber.