Chapter Seven

Losing our innocence can be dangerous because our ignorance is a shield. - Dan Simmons

Food prep was only slightly more eventful than gym.

Jon and I paired up together, as always.

Amidst the clattering of pots and pans, Jon and I worked tirelessly on preparing desserts for an upcoming event hosted by our strict but well-meaning teacher, Mrs. Mack. 

As the daughter of a renowned baker, Mrs. Mack had entrusted us with the important task of creating an array of delectable treats to impress the guests. 

Jon and I were a well-oiled machine when it came to baking – I handled the mixing and measuring while he took charge of decorating and presentation. 

Despite the chaos around us, we moved in perfect harmony, each knowing our role in this culinary dance. 

 Mrs. Mack's constant reminders about the significance of the event only fueled our determination to excel. We tripled recipes, whipped up batches of cupcakes, brownies, and cookies with precision and care. The kitchen was filled with tantalizing aromas that promised a sweet reward for our hard work. 

 After an hour of intense labor, we finally completed our task and arranged platters of desserts before wrapping them carefully for storage in the fridge. 

The temptation to sneak a taste was strong, but we knew better than to risk Mrs. Mack's wrath by indulging prematurely.

Bidding her farewell, we headed off to our last class of the day; English.

We made our way down the steps with our backpacks slung over our shoulders, ignoring the rule against bringing bags to class, as it was hardly actually enforced.

Jon and I were always ahead of the curve, taking our seats in the middle row as Mr. Haggerty entered with a warm smile directed at me. I exchanged a quick smile before turning to Jonathan, who had already taken out his research notes for our project.

Not long after we arrived, Mr. Haggerty entered, greeting me with a small smile before taking a seat at his desk.

Approaching him before the lesson began, I hesitated slightly before clearing my throat to get his attention. "Mr. Haggerty," I started tentatively. "We wanted to speak with you about our assignment after class."

His eyes met mine with a knowing look as he agreed to our request, causing relief to wash over me. 

As I returned to my seat, the classroom filled up with students bustling around. Mr. Haggerty announced that we could work on our projects during this period and even offered access to the computer lab for further research later in the week. 

Jon and I wasted no time diving into our work, starting with reviewing my rough draft of the introduction on my laptop.

The small town of Willow Creek appeared picturesque on the surface, with its charming main street lined with old-fashioned lamp posts, quaint shops and friendly faces. But beneath the facade of innocence lay a dark history that few were aware of.

Children played in the streets, their laughter echoing through the quiet town, while parents watched from their porches with smiles on their faces.

But not everything was as it seemed in Willow Creek.

For years, a shadow had hung over the town, a darkness that seeped into every corner and crevice.