Chapter Thirty Two

Grief is like an earthquake. The first one hits you and the world falls apart. Even after you put the world together again, there are aftershocks and you never know when those will come. - Unknown

It's been a few days since I've been to school.

As she said, she collected our homework from school each day and brought it home.

She even took two days off to spend with us. Her first break in years.

Honestly, I thought she worked too hard, but after my dad passed, other than me, and Jon, all she had was the bakery to keep her sane.

She threw herself into work as a way to numb herself, but after she finally accepted the fact that the love of her life would not be there to greet her with a kiss when she came home from work, she took her despair and fueled it into productivity.

My dad loved everything my mom made. He said it was because it was made by the most beautiful, amazing, vibrant woman he'd ever known.

He never liked to see anybody upset. In fact, he was rarely seen without a smile on his face.

He loved life and his family, all the way to the end.

Even in death, I know he watches over us.

I know he's looking over us and guiding us.

Not a day goes by that I don't wish he was still here. That I could hear his voice, his laugh, see his smile.

Now all I have left are the memories, of the thirteen beautiful years we had together.

I love you dad, I thought, looking up.

I felt a breeze on my cheek, even though no windows were open.

It's him. I know it is.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Jon asked, looking up from an article he was reading.

"Just my dad. He would've known what to do. I wish I was more like him."

"You are like him. You're the perfect combination of both if your parents. You're fierce and dedicated like your mother. Your loyal and resilient like your father. He's proud of you. You must know that."

"I know. I just wish he was here to see who I've become. To have our talks, where he said I wasn't getting married until I was fifty, unless it was to you. Because he knew he could trust you with his baby girl."

"He said that?"

I nodded. "He said that if anything ever happened to him, he could trust you to look after my mom and I."

"Truth is you two have been looking out for me more than I have for you."

I slapped his shoulder. "What are you talking about? You've been there for me my entire life. On days where everyone else drives me insane, you're there to bring me peace. My mom has always viewed you as a son. Just giving her someone else to love is more than enough. She loves you and knows you feel the same. That in and of itself is incredibly special. Don't for a second think you haven't done anything for our family. You understand me?" He nodded. "Good."

"Hey. We never looked at that CD, remember? I really think we should see what's on it. It may crack this case wide open."

"You're right," I said. "I'm going to go get it."