Chapter Seventeen

Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know they're there. - Unknown

I don't remember it, but I must've fallen asleep some time during my conversation with Jonathan, because the next thing I remember is feeling a hand shaking my shoulder.

"Sweetheart. It's time to get up."

It was my mom's voice, as evident by the cheerful tone. I'd never understand why she was such a morning person.

Most times I had to be dragged from my bed, quite a few times literally.

"You have to get ready for school." The rustling of plastic could be heard beside me as I lazily lifted my head, my eyes still half closed. "I brought you some clothes to get changed. Here you go."

"What about Jon?"

"The doctors believe he should take the day off. Hopefully he'll be released sometime this afternoon or evening."

"That's good," I said before yawning.

"Hurry up and get dressed. I brought you some clothes. I also brought you breakfast."

My head perked up at the smell of cinnamon. "Is that...?"

"Apple cinnamon breakfast bars? It sure is. I brought two and some extras for Jon when he woke up. Baked 'em fresh this morning. They should still be warm."

Having a baker for a mom is the best. You get the best treats, no matter what time of day.

The closest thing I could compare her apple cinnamon bars to were Nutri-Grain bars, only a million times better.

They were soft and chewy oatmeal biscuits with an apple cinnamon brown sugar gooey caramel like filling inside and a confectioner's sugar drizzle. They weren't overly sweet, just the right amount.

They were perfect for days like today, when you were in a rush out the door. Just grab and go.

I immediately took a hearty bite, a moan slipping past my lips.

I heard a groan next to me. "Mmm. Do I smell your mother's apple cinnamon breakfast bars."

"Mmhm." I replied, through a mouth of food, receiving a playful slap on the shoulder from my mother.

"Girl. You know better than to talk with your mouth full." She teased.

"Sorry," I apologized after swallowing what was in my mouth. "She made extras just for you. Better eat them before I do." I jokingly nudged his shoulder.

He chuckled. "I don't doubt you would." He pulled out one and started eating it.

"I'll be right back you two. Harley, you better start getting ready soon." My mom said before she exited.

"Ugh. I don't even want to go to school without you. Today is going to be so boring. Who else will I talk to?"

"I can't believe I'm saying this. But, isn't Damon in your biology and our English class?"

"Oh yeah. You're right." I sighed. "But gym will be a total nightmare. I don't associate with anyone other than you in that class. The same goes for food prep. English I can work on research for our project, so that's okay. God, I hope this day goes by fast."

"Just think of me and I'm sure it will." He smiled. "I'll be waiting for my best friend to return to my side. To tell me what hell she faced without me."

We both chuckled as I shoved him playfully.

"Oh, whatever." I smiled. "As soon as school is over I'll be sure to come visit you. Whether you are here or at home. Hopefully it's the latter."