Chapter Nineteen

You stirred slightly and snuggled deeper into the warm blanket that covered your body. Smiling gently and taking a deep breath you decided a little more sleep couldn't hurt, unfortunately, Spot had other ideas. She jumped on the bed and began purring as she headbutted your face, you laughed but tried to bury yourself into the pillow to escape her. She purred louder and began kneading your neck and trying to eat your hair. You couldn't help it anymore as you began laughing and finally sat up, scooping her into your arms. "Hello Spot, don't worry, I'm awake to give you attention now," you said to her. She decided she no longer wanted it as she flicked her table and jumped off the bed. You sighed.

"Ah! I see you have awoken, my dear." Data said from across the room, he was sitting at the table and looking at something on a screen. 

"I have indeed," You said climbing out of bed just in a long grey t-shirt. You stretched and walked over to him, scooting onto the bench next to him and kissing his cheek. "What are you up to?"

He turned the screen to you to reveal a picture of an old oil painting where two woman were chopping off a man's head with a sword. You tried to swallow your horror away. "Would you care to explain?" You said leaning your head into him to get a better look.

"This is an oil painting by the 16th century Earth artist known as Caravaggio, the title of the piece is Judith beheading Holofernes, as it is a depiction of a biblical scene from the Earth religion, Christianity. This piece has caused much debate among historians as-" 

You raised an eyebrow, he noticed.

"I apologize, I believe now that you were asking why I was looking at the piece, not the history." 

"Don't apologize Data, it was interesting. However, yes, you are correct in my wanting to know why you were looking at it." You smiled.

"I decided to examine this particular art for its notable amounts of gore, I was hoping it may be able to produce some sort of emotional response, as art is commonly noted to do." 

"And has it?"

Data shook his head softly no. "I wish to be able to share in the love you have for me." 

"Hmmm..." You said looking at the art piece. "Data, I can't say this piece really provokes any sort of emotional response for me either, I mean yeah the lighting is neat, and it's no doubt well painted but it's just sort of...old. I don't know.I can't really relate to it in anyway so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on your future based off of this one painting." You reached up and began running your fingers through his hair.

He simply twitched his head a little and looked at you, a small smile spreading over his features. "I believe that when you touch me I feel closer to having an emotional response than I do to any other sensory stimulation." 

You grinned, "Even if that's as close as you'll ever come, it's good enough for me. And who knows, maybe one day there will be like an emotion chip or something." You teased. 

Your PADD buzzed, you reached it up and smiled when you saw the notification, "Bones says he might be able to come visit soon." It had been months since you saw him last, he had left to go retire to Earth where his daughter Joanna still lived, but he made sure to visit when he could as he was your only "family" outside of the crew on the Enterprise-D. 

Before Data could reply a knock was heard on your door.

"You may Enter." Data called.

The door opened and Riker stepped in. He gave you a wink when he saw you were in nothing but the long t-shirt. 

Data noticed, "It would be most appreciated if you did not 'flirt' with my girlfriend, Commander." 

"Aww, are you jealous?" You teased Data, kissing his cheek again.

"I am not currently capable of feeling jea-" 

"He's definitely Jealous." Riker said laughing. Data just tilted his head to the side. 

"Why are you here?" You asked Riker, "I mean I know you either want Data or I considering we both live in this cabin now." 

"I actually came for both of you. I just wanted to alert you that we will soon be stopping at a planet entirely run by androids, some I hear are very advanced. I know you are on break right now, but I figured I would let you know as this could be a learning experince for both of you..." 

You stopped listening mid-sentence as now you were at your wardobe quickly ripping off your shirt and putting on a uniform with great velocity. 

"What are you doing? I'm still here! Isn't it unprofessional to just change infront of-" Riker complained.

"Stop whining, I'm already dressed." You were now quickly brushing your hair. "Now to answer your question, generally, yes. However, you can't just come in here and tell me about an advanced android planet without me getting a little excited. I'll see you on the Bridge in 15." You stated.

Riker just rolled his eyes and left. 

You went to the replicator and got a breakfast that could be quick to eat as you plopped down next to Data again and began scarfing your food back. He gave you an amused look.

"What?" You said between bites.

"I would like to inquire why this particular mission has evoked such an emotional response in you?" 

You swallowed and grinned, "This is the whole reason I joined Starfleet...also, who knows...maybe we will find information that can aid you in your emotional quest." 

Data stood up and went to your side, picking you up into his arms and gently throwing you down on the bed. He lay down next to you.

"It has come to my attention that your heart rate per minute is dangerously fast, before I can allow you to continue to the Bridge I must insist you lay here with me and wait for it to slow to a more medically adequate pulse." He said turning his head and looking at you.

You raised an eyebrow, much like how your old boy McCoy would, "Well, if you think throwing me down on the bed is going to slow my heart rate, that's where you are wrong my dear." You said smirking and leaning in. 

Data blinked, "I find you most aesthetically pleasin-"

He didn't finish the sentence as your lips crashed onto his.