xxi: a new life

"madre," jurnee sighed as she held onto her mother, "por favor no llores." (please don't cry.) madre wiped her eyes as she controlled her sniffles. "i'm going to visit and you know i'll always contact you. i'll talk to you every week."

"i know, i know," madre took a deep breath and smiled at her daughter, "you're growing up so fast. you're leaving me, oh no." jurnee laughed at her madre's dramatics and just rubbed circles on her back. "i'm gonna cry." her nose was starting to tickle and her body felt warm.

and jurnee did cry. she knew she wanted to leave london but it was different than needing to leave. jurnee cried at the reminder of being far from her mom, cried about leaving her roof, and cried that her father wasn't with her all in ten minutes. when she finally pulled it together, she picked up the last bag of her belongings and placed it with the rest of her things in her trunk.

"drive safely," madre said sternly but with care, "call me when you're settled in, okay? i love you and i'm proud of you, jurnee." jurnee looked at her mom with a satisfied expression, "i'm proud of you too, madre. i know it hasn't been easy but you've done well trying to keep me healthy and happy.

jurnee hugged her mom one last time before she left. she drove off with her mind made up. jurnee already had plans to have monthly zoom calls with her psychiatrist and she already had to videoconference for charles' court hearing. jurnee took a deep breath as she followed the instructions to navigate to the campus of manchester university.

it felt strange without yoongi driving and jurnee entertaining him from the passenger seat. it felt odd that jurnee couldn't watch yoongi hold his smile until he couldn't physically do so because of jurnee's antics. it felt great that jurnee was out of london though, it felt great that she was over charles, and it felt great that she was starting a new. everything was going to be new for her.

new city, new people, new jobs. all of it excited but scared her. jurnee didn't have much time to dwell on everything while driving but when she did make a pit stop she did dwell on it. she couldn't stop. nobody knew she was going to manchester. she didn't tell yoongi or her friends yet. she didn't even want to see them yet.

it sounds dumb but it was better for jurnee that way. jurnee didn't have time to be distracted while working on adjusting and healing. "would you like a bag to place your bread in?"

"yes please," jurnee answered politely and once the cashier handed jurnee her bag and raspberry lemonade she smiled, "thank you. have a nice day."

"you too, miss!"

jurnee sighed as she found a vacant seat and consumed some of her banana bread and her lemonade. once she was finished, she found her way to her car to continue to embark on her journey.

jurnee's point of view...

it was pretty much like a shift in reality once i saw the city of manchester sign. i was finally here and i had to pull over at a gas station to cry a little. i was no longer in longer, i was no longer at my childhood home, i was in manchester. i eventually got some gas from the gas station and snacks that i probably didn't need but we not gonna talk about that.

what we could talk about is how annoying the traffic is in manchester. it wasn't like anything in london though. fifty minutes was how long it took me to get to the campus and after getting accessed i made my way to my dorm. there was a girl outside though and once she saw me, she waved at me.

"uh hey?"

"hi!" the girl was very bubbly. "jurnee, i'm your roomie. i'm daniella, let me help you with your things! you're even prettier in person."