Chapter I : So Long, New Orleans

The stench of wolves is way too strong in late summer days. They run the city of New Orleans left and right, side-eyeing those with the ability to feel and smell their presence. Casters are the ones famously known in the city, despite attempting to kill the history of witch trials; they remain to be in the book of human's history.

By famously known, it means they are still looked down on as a devil worshipper. Spellcasters are a lot of things, but a devil worshipper is not one of them. There may be Dark Witches of the south, those who keep themselves hidden from the world. Nobody knows exactly what they are up to, not even the best scholars possible in the Four Lands can get through the mind of a dark witch.

But the truth will eventually emerge one day.

Love, a young spellcaster, has just gotten home from her weekly therapy where she's treated for insomnia. She is finally going to School of Magic, Belhonor, in Crimson Cove after taking a year off. Though she lives in a house full of casters, that except her father, Roman, practicing magic itself has their own levels. Levi, her twin sister, may already reaches the middle level of magic, despite only being a freshman in Belhonor-but Love's ability is still considered Neophyte.

On to reality... Love is walking down the street of French Quarter, after having a quiet, yet intense session of therapy. It felt like a great idea to take a walk, even if all she could smell outside is the rain droplets on the grass and woods. Her red, worn-out converse taps the ground, dark brown hair flows down her back, finger subconsciously rolls around the colorful, metallic beads necklace around her neck. It's cold out, yet she only wears a black shirt tucked into a knee-length pink floral skirt.

"Where you at?" Levi's voice suddenly pops up in Love's head, startling her a little.

"Could've used your phone." Love telepathically says with a bitter tone, "I'm just going to Marilyn's donut shop. I'm kind of hungry."

Levi silences. Even when Love walks into the shop that's immediately greeted by a strong stench of bonfire and coffee. "Good lord." she mutters to herself, eyes scanning around the room.

"Afternoon, Love!" Greets the lovely middle aged woman behind the counter. Marilyn, herself. The owner of the shop. "You here to taste my new berrymint filling bagel? I bet you'd love it."

Love smiles as she walks up the counter. Marilyn smiles eerily as usual. "I'm allergic to berries. So, no thanks." She smiles warmly as she squints her eyes at the menu on the wall, "I'll have the sugar points, Fimbulwinter ice, and a cup of unsweetened black tea to go, please."

Marilyn nods her head, typing down Love's order at the cashier and quickly grabbing a paperbag for the donuts. Love rubs her arm up and down, and subconsciously touches the galaxy pendant bracelet that Love's father gave to her when she was only 2-month old.

"Hey." A young man in a black oversized button up and jeans approach Love all of a sudden.

With his strong stench itself, she instantly turns her head around, which causes the handsome man to raise his brows. "Oh," she looks up at him, "it's you."

"'Tis I." He smiles.

"How was your birthday last week, Julian?" Love asks, turning around to watch Marilyn grabs her orders from behind the glass counter.

"It was great. Your sister did a number on my nose, though." Julian runs a hand up his nose.

Love squints her eyes, not able to find anything that implied he was physically assaulted. "Sure." She shrugs before collecting her order and paying Marilyn with an extra $5 tip as usual. "Thanks, Mary." She smiles.