Chapter 4

Korra's eyes suddenly popped open. She was laying on her back, and her head hurt immensely. She slowly tried standing up, but her legs gave way. Where am I? She tried again. This time her legs stayed steady. "He-Hello?. . .I-Is anyone there?. . .Hello!" Korra called out but there was no answer.

She couldn't see anything. She had to shield her eyes from the intense bright light that seemed to be shining from all directions. She had no idea where she was. Or how she even got there. She only saw never ending white, in every direction she looked. Confusion and panic fell over the young avatar.

"CAN ANYONE HEAR ME?" She shouted, only to hear the echoing of her words. She had a sinking feeling in her gut. But she didnt know why. Not knowing what to do, she tried bending. But nothing happened. She tried again and again. But still nothing. She became very frustrated very quickly and started running. Sprinting. As fast as her legs would take her, but still she didn't see a thing. Its was just pure, nothing.

Every direction she ran, lead to the same thing.

After what seemed like an hour, she collapsed, trying to catch what little breath she had left in her lungs. She pulled her knees up to her chest feeling trapped. Still not knowing what to do, she put her head down and sobbed quietly, hoping to be rid of this white prison soon.

All of a sudden a light breeze fell over the girl as she looked up, having to shield her eyes again as they began to focus on a light. It was colorful, like a blanket of colors that was quite far away, but was still painting the landscape. It looked like a tiny dot but kept growing. Within that blanket she noticed a shadow. . .a figure that was walking towards her.

She perked up at the sight of another human being, but that slowly went away. There were 4. . .4 dark and ominous shadowy figures slowly crossed the landscape that was starting to take form. It looked like she was in the spirit world with all of the bright colors, but she couldn't really tell with all the constant changing. Every step these ghostly figures took left a dark mark. Almost like a burn on the landscape. A scar.

The sky was a beautiful pink and purple hue that seemed to glow and give them power. Korra slowly roze to her feet as the white prison faded away into a plethora of colors, smells, and noises. She was in fact in the spirit world. But why?

The avatar's eyes clouded over, a glowing circle appeared above her. It played a vision. Was it a memory? Or the future? She didn't know. It was a bit blury. She moved back a few steps and focused on the images. "Asami?" She said to herself.

A look of confusion on her face. She was looking at her raven haired love, she had a child by her side. They were playing by a river, laughing and being silly. A smile crept over the avatars face for a second. Asami looked happy. Then Korra's eyes focused on the heiresses neck. . .was that. . .a betrothal necklace! It had a gear and a water tribe symbol carved into it.

The young avatar felt a million flutterflies start flying around in her stomach when she saw herself in the vision. She kneeled down by the heiress, and the little girl ran up to her yelling "Mama Korra"! . . Tears of happiness and joy started streaming down the avatars face at the sight. But she knew that this wasn't real. It couldn't be. It would never be real.

She squeezed her eyes shut tight as she fought back the tears. The vision slowly fading away as she could still hear the little girls laughter. What I would do, to make that vision real. She thought as she sank down to her knees, a wave of rage engulfing the avatar. "WHY DO YOU FIND IT FUNNY TO PLAY TRICKS ON ME?" She shouted to the air.

After a second she realized that the figures were still walking towards her. She couldn't focus on any of their faces. She squinted, trying really hard to make out the group. Hey eyes shot wide open and her heart felt like it was on overdrive The one in the front. . .the leader. I-Its. . .Zaheer! What is he doing here? The young avatar grew very frightened, very quickly. Her eyes darted between the group. Amon. . .Tarrlok. . .Unalaq. . . .she jumped to her feet and stumbled backwards, trying to turn and run away. But as she turned, something held her in place.

As if someone was controlling her, she turned back to the group slowly, not able to move anything. Her eyes met Tarrloks as she realized he was blood bending her. . ."So, we meet again avatar. How have things been going?" He said with sarcasm and venom in his voice. He twisted his hands and Korra screamed out in agony as she felt herself being twisted around by the phsyco.

Amon came up beside the blood bender with a cynical smile and started beating the young avatar. Korra cried out again and again. "Aaaah st-stop. Unf- P-please stop! Please!!" as she could feel her ribs and bones cracking from the intense force of the blows. She tried to bend the elements. But still nothing happened. She had forgotten that she was completely powerless. Her mind drifted to Asami and how much she longed to be with her. How much she wanted to apologize for everything. For hurting her. For not coming back sooner. . .and how much she wanted to make that vision come true some day.

The young avatar was fading in and out of consciousness as the blows continued mercilessly. Then. . .darkness.

She suddenly opened her eyes to find herself chained in the cavern. The same place she was given the poison three years ago. Her eyes darted around trying to look for someone. Anyone. She tried going into the avatar state to break the chains, but she couldn't. Suddenly there was a massive earthquake and she saw all 4 enemies rising from the ground on a rock pillar. This time it was Zaheer and Unalaq who stood in front of the vulnerable young woman.

Unalaq didn't hesitate to strike blow after blow into the avatars abdomen, further cracking her ribs. Zaheer started air bending behind him and a blade appeared. It had the markings of every nation embedded into the hilt. The blade itself was made of ivory from the tusks of a rhino-boar.

He lifted the blade and with the blink of an eye he slashed the avatar clean across her chest. Korra tried to scream, she tried to beg for mercy, but no words were coming out of her mouth. Again and again the airbender slashed the young girl with inhuman speed and precision until blood was the only thing he saw. Unalaq stepped forward and in his hand he held a burning hot metal rod that was shaped into the infinity sign and a gear like the one adorned on Asamiʻs uniform on one end. The sign was glowing a bright fire red as he shoved it into the avatars arm burning her flesh with the intense heat. After he was finished he stepped back and again let Zaheer take his place in front of the mangled girl.

An evil grin crossed his face as he raised the blade above his head. He looked directly into the avatars eyes "Sweet dreams avatar. See you soon" and drove the blade straight through her heart.