Chapter 8 - Hayden(Part 3 - The US, 2015)

The water runs over my skin, cleansing it of all the dirt. I can't remember the last time I experienced a shower like this. Living on the streets, I have had to clean myself in bodies of water or during a rainstorm. Being in a shower is a completely different feeling. Too soon, the warm water starts to become colder, and I finally have to get out of the shower. I dry off my hair and throw on my clothes, heading downstairs to find everyone else. I find them all hovering around the computer looking over a map.

"What are you guys doing?" I ask. They tell me how they can't just sit around and wait, so they decided to look at a map of the location. I join them examining the map, and I try to find something useful.

By noon, we still haven't found anything, and everyone is starting to get tired of staring at the computer. Brooke is the first to get up and leave the room telling us that she is getting something to eat. Soon after I join her leaving Robbie and Alex alone.

"Did you find anything that we can eat for lunch?" I ask Brooke when I reach the kitchen. Brooke hands me a rectangular box that reads Kraft Macaroni.

"What's this?" I ask, confused.

"Mac and cheese," Brooke responds, giving me a strange look. "Do you not know what that is?"

"Hmm," I respond, scouring my memories. "I don't remember ever having this."

"Well, just wait. It's good." I sit down, watching as Brooke fills a pot with water and puts it on the stove. We sit in silence while waiting for the food to cook. Once it's done, Brooke fills up two bowls and hands one to me. The food smells delicious. I take a spoon from Brooke and eat a spoonful of the mac and cheese. Brooke looks at me expectantly, and I give her a giant smile continuing to devour the delicious meal. When we're done eating, Brooke and I head back into the office and take over from Robbie and Alex who leave to get some food. While we're staring at the computer, we hear the back door creak open.

"Alex, Robbie are you guys going outside?" I ask, getting up from the computer to explore the origin of the noise. When I reach the backdoor, I see Aspen standing in the entrance.

"Hey! You're back!" I exclaim in surprise. "What time is it?"

"What are you guys doing inside?" Aspen asks in disbelief, ignoring my question. "I told you to stay in the woods so that my parents wouldn't see you!"

"Hey, what's going—?" Robbie asks, entering the entrance. "Oh, hey Aspen!"

"Are all of you in the house?" Aspen angrily asks.

"Um... yeah," I respond.

"You don't have to worry," Robbie says. "We made sure your parents left before we came inside, and we didn't make any messes."

"I am worried," Aspen responds, ignoring Robbie. "What if my parents had come home early?"

"They didn't," Brooke says, joining the conversation. "Now that you're home, can we please go get this over with?"

"Brookes right," Robbie says. "We should probably leave now so that we can get there before dark."

"Ugh, fine, but you guys shouldn't have come inside." With that, Aspen heads inside to get her stuff before we leave. As soon as she has everything, we all go down the stairs to the garage. In the middle of the garage is a white Honda. Aspen enters the driver's seat while Brooke takes shotgun before anyone can say anything else. Robbie, Alex and I stuff ourselves into the backseat, squeezing together.

"Who's ready for a road trip?" Brooke exclaims, turning on the radio. She starts blasting a song that I don't recognize.

"Ugh, turn that off," Alex responds. "You're going to give me a headache."