xiv.

Akaashi Keiji [赤葦 京治] 

"Bokuto-san." A name he would repeat every now and then as he tossed the volleyball to the ace. After knowing the 'hellish' thing he's been curious for the past months, he got mad. Not because of the Itachi guy but because Bokuto needed to experience that kind of treatment. 

Usually, he doesn't care. Other people have experienced that, he knew and felt worse. But it hit different when he knew Bokuto had to experienced that. It enraged something inside him but at the same time, he wanted to a better setter for their ace. And he somehow knew why. 

"'Kaashi! That toss was good! One more! One more!" Bokuto shouted for the nth time with a wide smile on his face. Others may be ticked off with the smiles Bokuto show when he's playing but to him, they were the brightest ones he ever saw in his life and they were contagious, to say the least. And he didn't want to lose sight of those. 

"Wow, the practice has not started yet you two are full of energy," Konoha said while entering the gym with a smug look on his face. "As if that's new," Komi stated as he entered with Sarukui and Washio. He greeted the three politely while Bokuto just gave them a grin and continued shouting his name, asking for another toss. 

"Well, someone's just possessive and demanding," Sarukui muttered under his breath but was heard by all, earning an earful from Bokuto. He just laughed lightly as he saw Bokuto whining like a child. 'I guess it's good he's not carrying the burden after telling me earlier.' 

--

Practice started just usual but what felt unusual is how Bokuto stared at him like an... owl. Sure, there were times Bokuto would glance at him from time to time, but the stare he's receiving right now is intense as if he would be hunted if he has done something wrong.

He continued practicing digging and blocking with the others but he could still feel the intense stares from the owl boy and sighed. He needed to stop it because he couldn't focus if Bokuto continued. 

"Bokuto-san. Why are you staring at me like that." He confronted as their coach told them to have a 5-minute break time. Bokuto's aura suddenly changed and went back to his usual self. "Oh, I just learned it from the owl documentary I've watched last night. I didn't know I was able to do it. It's impressive, right? Right?" Bokuto asked like a child. 

He wanted to facepalm but sighed. "It's impressive, Bokuto-san. But please don't stare at me like that again." He said. "Eeeeehhhh? Why?" Bokuto whined. "Just because." He muttered as he walked away. 

'I hate that you're making me feel things in my stomach when you stare like that, Bokuto-san.' He thought as he looked down with a flushed face. 

--

Their usual extra practice was done and they were left to clean their area before locking up the gym. As he was lowering the net, he heard a loud thud and saw Bokuto lying down on the middle of the left side of the court, with his arms and legs sprawled out and eyes closed. 

He walked a little closer to the ace and saw how calm Bokuto's face was. But what caught him was the scratches and bruises on Bokuto's arms. The scratches were long but colorless; they weren't that deep and they were unnoticeable unless you stared longer, or if you're a real observer.

He could say Bokuto's skin was one of the palest he ever saw and it was lighter than his skin tone. He knew that the purple bruises were surely from playing volleyball and it was a common circumstance already. There were times he would see the scratches on Bokuto but it was the first time he saw all the scratches. 'It looks familiar...'