xxv. a promise from the past (epilogue)

a/n: they will be having different last names but the same first names, hope it does not confuse you. you'll understand after ^^

---

A young lanky man was standing by outside the palace's quarters as he went out of a room.

Keiji looked at the dark sky as a ghost smile appeared on his face. He always looks forward to this time of his day — fewer people, peaceful wind, silence.

Being the emperor's son's guard was no easy task, especially at night where he needs to guard the family's only son and heir to the throne more cautiously.

The family he is serving now is the current ruler of the country, hence, enemies and people who are against the emperor want the crown prince to be dead.

Yet, many people all over the country love the emperor's son. Who wouldn't like a generous, kind-hearted, genuine future emperor? He may not be the smartest of all but he could be wise at certain times.

And there comes his next duty, to guide the crown prince. He knew about everything he needed to know about the prince — from likes and dislikes to strengths and weaknesses.

As a guard, he always stayed beside the prince no matter what. Within his 25 years of existence, he's been the prince's guard since he was 17. He was actually trained as an assassin since he could remember until he earned the title of the youngest daunting assassin in the country at the age of 16.

Of how his 'father' sold him to the royal family, he didn't know why but it was better this way, especially when his mother's dead already. 

Before he could sink down in tranquility, a voice interrupted him. "Keiji!" He sighed as he went back inside his master's room.

'Too much for a peaceful night.'

"Hoojiro-san." He bowed. "Is there something you need?" He asked as he saw his master sitting in cross legs, wearing his golden nightgown made out of silk.

The crown prince frowned and crossed his arms. "I told you to call me Koutarou when we're alone!" His gray-haired master said and puffed his cheeks, a signal that his master's annoyed. He just shook his head and went closer to his master.

Did he mention his master considers him as a friend? Not that he minded though, even if he never had a friend before due to the nature of his work.

"You look like an eight-year-old with his tantrums, Koutarou-san." He teased as he sat down, facing his master.

"Excuse me? I am a twenty-six-year-old man who is capable of hunting, reading, writing, and ruling the country soon." Koutarou said.

"Yes, an eight-year-old boy stuck in a twenty-six-year-old man. I feel bad for your body, Koutarou-san." He teased more with a smile.

"Ugh! Why is it so hard to deal with you Keiji?" Koutarou whined with a small pout on his face. 

"That's what the other assassins say." He shrugged as he set down his katana beside him. "Want me to make you some tea?" He asked to which his master nodded before they dive in silence.

"Keiji." His master called to which he hummed in response. "Yes, Koutarou-san?" He asked as he gave his master the porcelain.