Chapter 24: silence

Nathalie kept her eye on Adrian. Everything he did was being monitored. Adrian felt strange in his stomach. He didn't feel like he trusted Nathalie with his secret. But he couldn't do anything about it... He wished he didn't act so selfishly when transforming.

Marinette felt anxious. She saw Adrian the other day and saw what happened. Chat Noir was feeling uneasy and Marinette saw that. She saw how his face was. She saw that fake smile he did every day.

did he get in trouble? Why was he a tug strange that other day? He didn't come fast... Was he occupied with his life? He came at the end of the fight and left early. Is he feeling alright? He wasn't feeling like his normal self. He never even made a pun??? That's so unlike him. I hope he's doing good. He must be going through a lot of trouble. He does have to cope with his normal life as well...

"Marinette!"

Her parents must be calling her to help with the bakery.

"coming mama!"

Marinette left her bed and went downstairs as it was a Saturday and her parents needed help.

after she was done helping she would go and get some groceries.

After she was done with all her work she would have most of the time for herself. Mostly to catch up on school work. Her double life keeps her occupied by her becoming ladybug. Her parents don't know about. Nobody knows her secret. Only her Kwami of course!

As she was working she got a call from Alya.
She picked up the phone and answered it...
"oh my gosh! girl do you know what's going on???"
"hey, Alya what's going on?"
"Have you heard what's going on! I cannot believe it!"
"heard what?"
"girl... It's about Adrian..."
"what's going on with Adrian??"
"his father doesn't allow anyone to meet Adrian and he isn't even allowed to text on his phone..."
"Yeah, I know about that..."
"no, there's more..."
"he's making Adrian not do anything anymore! He's being monitored on what he does. And his father has told us that if Adrian has contact with us then he will get in serious trouble..."
"oh my... Alya are you being for real? I knew his father was cold but not this cold..."
"girl... Adrian isn't even allowed to go out anymore even his modelling has been stopped..."
"But why??? He's done nothing wrong? I know that his father is doing it for his safety but what he's doing has gone too far. Locking his up isn't good for him!"
"gurl I will talk later. Bye."
"bye!"

This is bad... he's being monitored maybe that's why he came late in that villain fight... he squeezed out of that one... is he going to get through the next? I don't know but I feel the urge to do something about it. I can't just let it happen. I need to make his father see why it's not a good idea to keep Adrian at home like this. But I have no idea how I am going to do it. Last time I tried and it failed how will I know this time it would work. I just hope he can survive a bit longer. I am making a plan to help. But right now I have nothing to do for him. I just hope he can do it on his own...

Marinette was thinking hard and got distracted.

She couldn't focus on her lessons the next day.
It was a Monday morning. Marinette felt groggy and didn't feel like paying attention in her lessons. She was constantly looking at the clock, wondering if the hands on the clock would go fast. Every second went by and it was nerve-wracking.

then a loud voice shouted her name...

"MARINETTE DUPEN-CHENG!"

Marinette froze.

"HAVE YOU NOT PAID ATTENTION TO MY LESSONS??? FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS YOU WERE BEHIND. SKIPPING CLASSES, NOT DOING THE ASSIGNMENTS, NO HOMEWORK DONE! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE! I AM GIVING YOU A WARNING DUPEN CHENG ANOTHER WARNING THEN YOU ARE GOING TO BE REPORTED TO THE PRINCIPAL AND YOUR PARENTS! Do you really want that? If not then try paying attention in my class and not daydream."

"sorry miss..."

Marinette straightened up and started working. She knew that if she didn't catch up her parents would find out. If they found out then she would be in big trouble.

her parents don't know that Marinette skips school for saving Paris... So that would be another reason why they can't find out. Her identity is at stake. She mustn't act irrationally.

as she worked she kept her mind off of everything around her. Her friends saw Marinette and worried that she might have a lot of work and stress to overcome.

As for Adrian, there were cameras in his room and if he moved an inch he would be questioned. His father wanted to see it for himself. He wanted to see if it was true. That he is Chat Noir. He wanted to see it with his own eyes. He wanted to see what Nathalie saw. In order to test his theory... He had to Akumatise someone...

Go my Akuma...

Adrian froze. He could sense an Akuma nearby. He had to stay calm. If he tensed too much he would be the victim. He took a deep breath and cleared his mind.

And the Akuma went off somewhere else. Adrian was in deep thought.

Huh? What was that? If felt like... The Akamas came from somewhere around here. That would mean Hockmoth is nearby? The Akamas must have generated from one specific area... I am in big trouble now. I can't go anywhere. Ladybug has to cover for me. Yikes! Aaagh! I am so useless right now. Did-
no, it can't be. Did Nathalie tell someone? No, she wouldn't. Did she tell someone? And if she did... Who? My secret could've passed down from one person to another. Maybe-
...
maybe Hockmoth knows my identity already? No, it's impossible. I might be overlooking my situation. I trust Ladybug. I know she can do it. I believe in her...