Chapter 19: Morning darling

"Morning darling." James sang out as he entered the girl's dormitory. No reply. Only Lily was still in there, she was again refusing to get out of bed. Spying Lily's bed, he sauntered over. Pulling the curtain away from her bed, Lily opened one eye and stared frostily back at him, not happy at being woken up on a Saturday morning.

"I'm not getting up." She stated. "I'm staying in bed all day." Pulling the covers over her head, she tried to block the out the sunlight streaming in through the now open curtains surrounding her bed.

"Lily, get out or I'll tickle you." James threatened, wiggling his fingers in a bid to scare her. Lily hated being tickled; it was the one thing she hated. Pulling the covers down from her face she scowled at James.

"You wouldn't dare."

"I would!" James replied, a mischievous glint in his eyes. Diving for Lily he wiggled his fingers, ready to tickle her. Realising what was about to happen, Lily rolled to avoid James' tickling fingers, however she misjudged her position in her bed and rolled straight off the edge onto the floor. Dangling his head off the edge of her bed, James couldn't help but laugh at Lily sprawled out on the floor where she'd just fallen.

"Oh yes, ha ha, laugh at me why don't you?" Lily chided, although a grin was beginning to tug at the corners of her mouth; it was something to do with James' laugh, it was infectious.

"Alright then, as long as you're alright with that!" James smirked back. Pulling herself up off the floor and stretching out her limbs, Lily felt more awake than she had done a few minutes previously; maybe it had something to do with hitting the floor with a thump, 'Hmm probably!' She concluded.

"Your hair looks funny in a morning." James giggled, gesturing at Lily's hair. 'Okay I know I had my hair plaited yesterday but it's not that bad is it?' catching a glimpse of her reflection in Hestia's bed side mirror, Lily saw what James was talking about; her hair was a frizzy mess. Grimacing at her reflection she completely understood 'and he still loves me after seeing my hair like this? He's a keeper!' Lily thought.

"Right, well wait outside so I can get dressed please." Lily ordered, pointing her finger at the door. Rolling his eyes James exited the door and clicked it shut behind him. Finding the first pair of clothes that she could find, a pair of plain light denim jeans and white jumper (perfect for the cold weather!), she pulled them on.

"Done yet?" James called from outside the door.

"Done!" Lily shouted back, feeling pleased at how quickly she'd managed to get dressed so quickly. Pulling on a pair of dark grey ankle boots and woolly socks, Lily wiggled her tops at the sudden blanket of warmth now surrounding her feet which she hadn't realised were incredibly cold. Swaggering round back round the door to Lily's bedroom, James was just in time to see Lily pull her hair up into a loose bun, which would keep her hair out of her face and hopefully hide the frizziness. "How did you even get up here?" Lily asked, after fixing James with a puzzled look. "The staircase is enchanted, if a boy steps on it, it turns into a slide that you can't get up."

"Sirius found out last year that if you come up on a broomstick it doesn't catch you." He replied matter of factly; Lily grinned and nodded her head. 'It would have to be Sirius!' she thought. "Right, now let's get off to breakfast!" James chivvied, clapping his hands and pointing towards the door, which once swung open showed James' racing broom resting against the wall opposite the door.

"One thing..." Lily replied, not in the least bit fazed that Sirius had found out how to overcome their trick staircase, it was only a matter of time until he managed to crack its secret. James nodded as Lily grabbed a pencil from her bed side table and placed it delicately behind her ear. "That wasn't it by the way." Lily giggled. Looking confused, James wasn't prepared for what came next.