Chapter 20: Stag

"W-w-what time is it?" Lily stammered into the darkness.

"Midnight." James replied, loosening one arm from around her and stretching it above his head. Bringing his arm back down, he wrapped it back around Lily's small shoulders, who was still curled up in a ball beside him.

"You mean, I slept all afternoon?" she questioned, not able to process how she'd managed to sleep all this time – then she remembered what earlier that day had brought and it all came flooding back, a cascade of emotion pouring through the emptiness of her head, although this time there were no tears, no ranting, just the realisation that Severus didn't need to be part of her life anymore; she had someone better, someone who really cared for her, someone who was curled up next to her protecting her from the cruelty of the outside world.

"Yeah..." James trailed off, shaking his head, not quite believing it himself.

"Did you sleep too?" Lily whispered realising her friends were all snoring softly in their beds around her. Hestia's duvet cover moved up and downs lightly as she breathed, Alice twitched slightly in her sleep, 'Wonders what she's dreaming about?' Lily pondered. Rolling over to face Lily, Jessica smiled in her sleep, which made James and Lily smile too.

"A bit, I was watching you sleep, you look make this weird face – you look like a little squirrel – it was cute, it amused me." James replied smirking and nuzzling Lily's nose and planting a feather light kiss on her temple. Not quite knowing whether to kiss or slap James, she just laughed lightly and shook her head.

"Well, what do you want to do? I'm not tired anymore..." Lily asked, but instantly regretted it seeing the suggestive smirk on James' face. "I didn't mean that!" She squeaked, feeling her cheeks flush scarlet.

"I didn't think you did, oh well it was worth a try!" he chuckled. "Anyway, I know something better!" he added sliding off the edge of the bed as quietly as he could and gesturing for Lily to follow as he slipped silently across the floorboards and out the door. Quickly scanning the room to check all her friends were still asleep; Lily pulled herself off her bed, trying and tip toed across her room, trying to avoid the squeaky floorboards. Smiling to herself at her quietness she didn't see the bump on the floor...

"HELLO IM YOUR TEDDY BEAR!" it sang out into the silence as Lily's foot connected with its stomach – which must have held a sound box. It was Alice's teddy bear, the one she'd been given by her grandparents when she started Hogwarts, it was her favourite thing in the world, but it must have fallen off her bed and onto the floor. Looking around the room in panic, Lily breathed a sigh of relief - she'd gotten away with it. Bending down and picking up the teddy, she delicately placed it on the bed next to Alice's face, who mumbled in her sleep and pulled the soft toy closer to her body, smiling in her sleep.

Lily smiled and took a step forwards, eager to get out of the room. But in her haste she'd forgotten about the squeaky floorboards. Realising her mistake as soon as her foot connected with the varnished wood, she winced.

"Huh?" Hestia mumbled, lifting her head off her pillow and sleepily rubbing her eyes, looking for the source of the noise.

"Err.... I'm a ghost..." Lily replied, saying it the first thing that came into her head.

"You don't look like a ghost." Hestia pointed out yawning and squinting her eyes into the darkness.

"Well, I am! Now go to sleep before I haunt you..." Lily added in a last ditch attempt to get Hestia back off to sleep before she slipped out.

"Okay." Hestia replied sleepily. Turning over and pulling the covers up over her head and began to snore loudly. Wiping her brow, Lily knew that had, had been close. Taking in a deep breath, she continued across her room, avoiding the rest of the squeaky floorboards. Reaching the door, she let out a sigh of relief as her hand connected with the bronze handle. Slipping round the door, she made her way down the stairs, just like James had a minute previous.