Chapter 26: Bad News

"Remus!" a female voice squealed, one that sounded suspiciously like his mother, woke James and Lily the next morning. Waking up with a start, James' eyes searched around the unfamiliar room, and for a few moments he couldn't work out where he was, that was until a very groggy Lily rolled into him and groaned, then he remembered. He'd spent the night with Lily after he'd been so worried about his parents.

"Too early." Lily moaned, covering her eyes with her hands, shutting out the light that filtered in from the large window, curtains now drawn, Max had been in early this morning and lit the fire which was now burning brightly and the curtains were tied with gold ribbons, letting light flood into the room.

"Lily its nine o'clock and I'm guessing Remus is here." James said checking the clock beside Lily's bed. Shaking her slightly, James smirked as she took the hands from her face and pouted.

"Fine." She replied sitting up in the bed and stretching her hands high above her head.

"Good morning to you too." James smiled; pulling her in for a much more enthusiastic kiss than Lily was expecting at this time in the morning, but she returned it just as enthusiastically nevertheless.

"Well Good morning Mr Potter." Lily grinned, pulling away. James however kept his hand tangled up in Lily's unruly red curls. Twirling his fingers through her curls, his hand loosened itself from her hair and stroking down her face, his fingers delicately tracing her jaw bone.

"I want every day to be like this." He mused. Lily slipped off the bed with a grin, and pulled her hair up into a messy bun.

"What, being woken up by someone screaming?" she teased.

"No. waking up next to you." James replied, getting off the bed and clasping his hands loosely around Lily's waist. Lily didn't quite know what to say, she hadn't thought about that before, but she wanted that too. James leant down and kissed her nose.

"You're speechless; I would be too if I'd just spent a whole night in bed with me." James added cockily, pulling her closer to him. At that point Lily found her voice.

"Oi!" she giggled, slapping at James' bare chest to try and free herself from his grip. James just laughed and released her.

"Hit me, I don't mind!" he chided sarcastically and Lily smirked.

"Good." She replied, pulling on her dressing gown as James pulled on yesterday's shirt which was still lying in a crumpled heap on the floor.

"Breakfast?" James asked and Lily nodded enthusiastically as her stomach rumbled. Pulling James out the room and down the stairs at an alarming pace, James had to do a double take and make sure that he wasn't with Sirius.

"Remus!" Lily squealed as she opened the door to the dining room to see the third marauder sat at the table in deep conversation with Edward about the properties of some sort of herb which Lily didn't catch the name of. Turning to face the sound of the noise, Remus smiled at the sight of the red head.

"Lils!" he squealed back – making Sirius snort, causing the milk he was drinking to splutter out his mouth and nose. A silent scourgify charm and a disgusted look from Remus cleared that up right away. Lily ran over to her friend and hugged him tight. Pulling away from the hug, James clapped his friend on the back.

"Nice to see you mate." James said, gladly taking the cup of coffee his father was holding out for him, he needed a morning coffee to wake him up.

"You too Prongs." Remus replied, turning round to face Sirius who was shovelling scrambled egg on toast into his mouth at a rate that Lily found quite disgusting, he wasn't eating the food, he was inhaling it.