Chapter 35: Matching

"I can't believe he's still here..." James whispered. "He deserves to be thrown in Azkahban, but he's still here because daddy has influence over the governors." He added. Sirius nodded.

"It's ludicrous." Sirius agreed, the thought that Mulciber and his cronies were allowed to stay in the school just because their families were influential made him sick.

Silence fell upon the two of them, and for a minute or two they just sat there in comfortable silence. Tapping his finger absently against the polished wood of the table Sirius noticed the Great hall was virtually empty, the students had all trudged off towards lessons, only a few were straggling behind attempting to skip lessons.

"I should have been there." James mumbled, holding his head in his hands, covering his eyes – Sirius was worried James might be crying underneath his hands. "I should have been there..." James repeated under his hands, almost forgetting Sirius was even there.

"Look mate..." Sirius started but he was lost for words. He squeezed James' shoulder reassuringly, wracking his brain for the right words. "You can't always be there..." he finally finished.

"The thing is I should have been!" James snapped back, banging his fist hard down on the table. The plate nearest James' fist jumped in the air and landed with a bang. "I should have been there! I've been protecting her all year and the one day I'm that I'm too pissed off to do anything she gets hurt! How do you think that makes me feel Sirius?!" raising his voice James knew he was going over the top but he didn't care. The few students straggling behind turned to see where the noise was coming from and were alarmed to see Sirius and James in what looked like a confrontation.

"James..." was all Sirius could manage, the boy looked broken. "She's okay..." Sirius breathed, hoping to get through to James.

"But what about next time she isn't? What about if next time Hestia isn't there to run for help? What about if next time I'm not there again? What about if next time they don't stop?" his voice cracked at the last word. Sirius didn't know what to say, James stared down at the table, on the brink of tears.

"I won't let that happen." Sirius declared. James looked up gratefully and managed a smile. "Lily is one of us – there is no way anything is going to happen to her." He added. James wiped his nose which was running slightly and removed his glasses to rub his eyes.

"I'd die for her you know." James said, without looking up from cleaning his glasses on the edge of his black robes. Sirius could tell when James was lying, and he was 100% certain James was telling the truth; Sirius was certain that James would die for Lily should the circumstance arise. Sirius was silent contemplating what James had just said...

"I know James, I know." He finally replied, patting James' back lightly. And with only a seconds hesitation they both rose from their seats and made their way to Charms, without another word.

James and Sirius slipped into the back of Charms relatively unnoticed, Professor Flitwick nodded in the direction towards their seats but did not say anything as he carried on with his opening speech.

"Now I don't expect any of you to be able to perform this charm for some while – or even ever, however I would like you to have a go and know the theory behind it for your exam." The small professor's beard wobbled as he spoke and his slim face broke out into a grin, illuminating his whole face. Turning to face the black board, he levitated the piece of chalk and wrote 'Patronus Charm' with a flourish and flick of his wand. "Now can anyone tell me about the Patronus charm?" he asked, turning back to the class. Someone at the front of the class raised their hand and drew the professor's attention– James couldn't see who it was; the rest of the class' heads blocked his view.