Chapter 21: Accident

Trudging around the forest in the rain and freezing cold was not Lily's idea of a good lesson; well neither was care of magical creatures but she still continued to do it. Due to the sheer amount of rain they'd received, the whole place was soaking; plus she'd been paired with Sirius Black looking for some kind of moss that some kind of dragon like creature that Lily or Sirius had never heard of apparently liked to eat. Lily was fed up and couldn't wait for the lesson to end – Sirius however was enjoying himself thoroughly.

"Look Lily!" he would scream every two minutes, jumping up and down and pointing at something which had caught his attention. Lily had given up looking after his 27th shout. "I love this class." He beamed as he ran through the branches of the trees, causing their twigs to ping backwards and spray Lily with clear sheen of rain drops, which were now dropping from her eyelashes and from the end of her nose.

"Sirius, I'm bored, and my feet hurt, plus I'm soaking, and it's freezing! Let's go back now." Lily whined, Sirius however hadn't heard her or was purposely choosing to ignore her as he ran around frantically stopping for a second to look at some sort of tree before taking off again.

"SIRIUS BLACK!" She yelled, but to no avail.

"BLACK!" no reply. Then she had an idea.

"YOU BLOODY DOG! HEEL!" she screamed out as loud as she could, and to that Sirius stopped dead in his tracks and turned around to face her, a smirk unfurling across his lips.

"What did you just call me?" he grinned.

"Bloody dog." She repeated her face deadpan. Crossing her arms in front of her chest, she scowled; standing round in the rain really did not do wonders for your mood. Standing there with droplets of rain dropping from her nose and her hair hanging stringy from rain, with an almighty frown across her face Sirius couldn't help but laugh at her.

"Come on Sirius, its December, I'm freezing and I want to go inside." She moaned, stamping her foot and instantly regretting it as she stomped her foot straight into a puddle of icy cold water which sprayed up her leg, causing her already wet trousers to stick to her shivering legs. Bursting out into fits of raucous laughter, Sirius slapped his leg as he bent double to hold himself up through his peals of laughter. Scowling, Lily was not impressed.

"Sirius." She growled, pulling her cloak tighter around her torso to try and shut out the biting cold.

"Alright, alright, come on then." Sirius chuckled, wiping a tear away from his eye. "Oh you are funny Red."

"Don't call me Red." Lily growled as she allowed Sirius to take her hand and lead her out of the forest – something she was quite glad of as she had absolutely no idea where they were... and although she wouldn't admit it, having Sirius around was quite comforting, the forest was a scary place, especially as darkness was drawing in, Sirius however didn't seem to be fazed. Lily wasn't surprised though, he ran round these woods regularly accompanied by a stag, a rat and a werewolf, if he could do that Lily was sure he wasn't easily scared. Speaking of the full moon, Lily wondered when the next one was, she did a quick calculation in her head and realised it would be the end of the week. Sighing inwardly, she felt her shoulders droop, Lily hated full moons; it meant James would be running round the forest until some ungodly hour of the morning with a flipping werewolf! She knew he had to do it though, to help Remus – he wouldn't hurt himself as much if his friends were there, which meant he recovered quicker which a bonus – but it didn't stop her from worrying about him. She wouldn't be able to sleep until he came in, which was normally just shy of 3AM and even then she'd still be worried about him, so they'd normally end up curled up in an arm chair in front of the fire in the common room until morning, just so Lily could be close to him, making sure he was okay – something which James found incredibly amusing, but also very sweet.