Chapter 25: Christmas Tree

"Sorry kids." Edward said apologetically.

"We've been called out to a raid in the next county, we have to go. See you soon." Sarah added, her voice slightly strained, the stress of the job and all the attacks, showing in her voice. Pulling her husband towards the door, she let go of his hand ran down to gate to apparate the auror headquarters at the ministry of magic.

"Be safe!" Edward called out as he too ran out the door after his wife. This seemingly innocent warning to the boys made them blush profusely. Lily and Hestia looked at each other completely confused.

"What?" Hestia asked, trying to wrangle an answer out of either boy, fixing them with an intent glare, staring into their face one at a time.

"Nothing!" James squeaked, his voice an octave higher than usual.

"When's Remus getting here?" Hestia asked a moment later when she realised the boys were not going to answer her.

"Tomorrow morning, he had to see his parents before he could come here." Sirius answered his face still slightly red. Hestia nodded; she opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by a loud crack. Turning to face the noise, Lily was greeted with the sight of the house elf Max.

"Dinner will now be served Master Potter." And with a low bow, he apparated out.

"Grubs up!" Sirius said gleefully, rubbing his hands together. Sirius made for the door, but Hestia put a firm hand on his shoulder to stop him dead in his tracks.

"Shouldn't we wait for Edward and Sarah?" she questioned.

"It's alright, they could be gone until tomorrow, we should eat now." James replied with a smile, although it didn't reach his eyes. The group all looked expectantly at Hestia.

"Go on!" she laughed as James and Sirius raced out the room and down the hall towards the dining room. Linking her arm through her best friend's, Hestia grinned.

"May I escort you to dinner m'lady?"

"I would be honoured!" Lily giggled as they followed the boys down towards the dining room.

After a large course of rich lasagne and chips with garlic bread, the group were filled to bursting. Hestia had loosened his belt buckle to allow for more food, James was groaning and rubbing his stomach, Lily was wondering if she'd ever be able to walk again or if she'd have to roll and Sirius... well he was still shovelling another slice of garlic bread into his mouth without a second thought.

"This dinner is amazing." Hestia gushed. "I wish I could eat more!" she moaned.

"Max is a great cook." James mused. With the mention of his name, Max appeared beside Lily's chair, causing her to jump out of her seat, she hadn't expected the house elf to appear so close! James giggled and Hestia covered her mouth with her hand to cover a smirk, Lily gave them death glares – that was not funny.

"I'm sorry for scaring you Miss Lily." Max apologised, his eyes scanning the table at the empty plates. "Are you all finished?" he asked. The group all nodded and Sirius looked thoroughly offended.

"NOOOOO!" Sirius yelled protectively, cradling his arms around his plate. Max looked confused; his eyes crossed a little as if in deep thought.

"Yes Max, we are all finished." Hestia said firmly. Sirius leant back in his chair and crossed his arms in front of his chest, sulking. With a click of Max's spindly fingers the plates were gone, much to Sirius' disappointment.

"Would you like dessert?" the house elf asked.

"I'm too full Max." Hestia groaned, clutching her stomach.