𝟏 | The First Day of School

September

September

Surprise, surprise. I'm starting a journal. I suppose it's more tradition for our family to journal our lives than do therapy. I've never been one to write my emotions, and I'd rather bury myself in music. But I'm taking Elena's advice and starting you up. Let me introduce myself;

My name is Alyssandra Gilbert.

Elena's my twin sister, and we have a younger brother named Jeremy. So our story goes like this: three months ago our parents died in a car crash. Their car whipped over Wickery Bridge and into the water. They both died before they got brought to the hospital. Elena was with them, and she was lucky to have survived. She hasn't been the same since, although admittedly, none of us have been.

I'm honestly worried about her, and my brother. I'm prepared to help out however I can. It's the least that I could do for them. I miss mom and dad so much, but somebody needs to hold it all together. I hope Elena doesn't think that Jer and I blame her for their deaths. I can see that she blames herself.

I haven't told Elena, but I feel like I almost lost her too the night our parents died. We got connected (?) somehow. And by some chance, I was able to see what happened and she was able to come back to life.

I don't believe in divinity, but I suppose that's as close as I can get.

Damn.

Anyways, I hear them rattling around downstairs. I better get down if I don't wanna be late for school.

The now Gilbert-Sommers household already bristled with life when Aly reached down the stairs. She watched as her Aunt Jenna almost comically ready the kitchen, filled with energy despite it being early in the morning. She was happily chatting with Elena, who looked more tired than usual.

"Toast?" asked Aunt Jenna, working around Elena as she walked to the coffee maker. "I can make toast."

"It's all about the coffee." Elena yawned and drank from her mug. "Morning Alyssandra."

Aly smiled. Despite the obvious circles on Elena's eyes, she was glad to see that her twin sister took an effort in getting ready that morning. Elena had worn her signature long sleeves, and her straight hair was thoroughly brushed. "I'd have some of that." she murmured, playfully grabbing the coffee mug from Elena.

"Is there coffee?" Jeremy's voice echoed from the top of the stairs. Aly painfully took note that unlike Elena, Jeremy didn't seem to have taken any effort at all.

She made a face, taking a sip from the mug. "Dude you need a haircut."

The glare Jeremy sent her was icy. "You need to leave me alone." he frowned, bumping into her as he got in the kitchen. Aly rolled her eyes, somebody had woken up on the wrong side of the bed. "Do we have more coffee?"