forty five

for the first time in months, eddie felt safe. he was at home, his own bed.

he'd had moved into a dorm room while bev was away because he didn't want to live alone, and when she came home, they decided to get an apartment together.

eddie has started a job at an on-campus coffee shop. he worked there during the morning, went to his afternoon classes, and went back to the dorm. that was his routine for months. every single day.

but now, he was home. and richie was with him.

"eds, how about you come to the beach house with me for the weekend?"

eddie knew that richie would have to go back to his own house eventually.

richie lived in a big house on the water in malibu. eddie had never been, to the house or to malibu, but from the pictures, it was beautiful.

full view of the beach, large windows and modern look. it was gorgeous.

it was a thursday night. eddie had one morning class tomorrow, was free of weekend classes, and his first class back was monday afternoon. it was actually perfect timing.

"do you really want me to?" eddie found him self suspicious of the invite. there was no reason for him to feel that way at all, richie wouldn't ask him go if he didn't actually want eddie there, right?

"of course, eds. if you're free this weekend, obviously." eddie nodded. of course he was free. even if he wasn't he'd cancel plans.

"i'll have to call in, but i haven't asked for a day off since i got the job so they should let me." richie smiled and jumped off of the bed. eddie could tell that richie was already making plans for the two.

"i have to go and get some stuff for the house, and make sure it's clean. i'll go in the morning and you can drive out tomorrow evening, is that okay? so that way i can still stay here for the night and have time to make sure everything is perfect. that's cool?"

"yeah, rich, that's cool." eddie smiled as richie pulled him close. the two sat there for what felt like years. neither speaking a word, just the faint sound from the living room television and their own breathing. eddie swore he could hear richies heart beating.

this was nice. being alone together. it was right.

eddie used to imagine this, before he met richie. when he would listen to richies music and see pictures of richie and bill together, he'd imagine that richie was singing to him or that it was them holding hands.

and that was weird.

eddie would admit it.

but he longed for it.

he wanted to be with richie more than his heart could take it.

he got so lucky. eddie really didn't know how he did it.

regardless, he was happy that luck was on his side for once, and he was lucky that he hadn't fucked it up.