𝐚 𝐥𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐦𝐬𝐲 𝐦𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐭

❝𝐚𝐡, 𝐚𝐡, 𝐚𝐡! 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐬𝐨 𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐭! 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭-❞

❝𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲, 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐮𝐧!❞

[set in the late twelfth century]

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

      ENDING UP IN King Arthur's court was certainly not something Lina had planned today. The only things on her mind this morning was to score something for breakfast and stay out of trouble. Considering the fact that none of the King's guards could ever catch her, she felt particularly lucky this morning. Hopefully, Lady Luck would be on her side for the rest of the morning.

      The clock tower in the village square of Camelot began to ring ten times and Lina took that as her opportunity to take her chances with fate. There were lines of vendors selling food for the day and it didn't help that the bakeries were overwhelming with the scent of fresh baked goods. There were so many options, and yet so little time. She knew that the guards that patrolled around the square had a schedule to follow and when they would begin to walk down every street. It didn't help that the bakery that she decided on was the third street on the schedule. She would have to be quick and try to not use magic.

      If only magic was never outlawed, her life would have been very different. She knew that somewhere, in some other universe, there would be another Evangeline that didn't go down the same path she was currently on. She knew that there would be an Evangeline that wouldn't be shunned for the talent she possessed. Magic was a gift to those willing to learn it. Magic was freedom itself. Maybe that was the reason why Lina had such an affinity for it.

      She wandered into the bakery, fresh bread and other sweets making her mouth drool. Oh, the joy of having a sweet tooth. There was a loaf of bread resting on a basket, so inviting with the promise of satisfying her hunger for at least a few hours. As soon as she set her eyes on it, she raised a hand to take it. Before she could grab it, the little bell above the entrance jingled and three guards trickled in. She quickly recognized these guards as the new rookies that were admitted into the castle only a few weeks ago. They were fresh meat and she was ready to take her chances.

      Bad move. She shouldn't have underestimated the rookies.

      One of them grabbed her outstretched arm, their gloves providing a more iron grip on her.

      "Ah, I've heard about you. That so-called Phantom that people keep referring to. A bit sloppy trying to steal in front of the guards, don't you think?" The first guard asked, a sickening smirk on his face as he watched Lina struggle to calmly break from the grip. She forced an innocent smile to save herself, knowing very well that she couldn't escape without a few distractions.