Chapter 5

The next week went about the same, besides almost getting assaulted that is. Thank God above and Satan below for that. Luckily I hadn't seen those assholes since the incident. Those biker boys on the other hand park their bikes by Max Video ever since then but they never come in. Paul winks at me every time he sees me and Dwayne moved up from staring to actually giving me a small smile most of the time, Marco and David just smirk as they stroll by. I've gotten used to Max's sleeping schedule, he sleeps most of the morning and afternoon, but I guess it's because of his late-night times at work. I've started working at his store from twelve to eight and Max lets me walk to the boardwalk which I like because of the salty smelling air and he comes by around seven, normally when the sun goes down. He says that's because it can get a bit rowdy at night and he doesn't want me to be alone during that. Maria comes by around eight to start her shift and take over mine.

It was currently Friday night just around sundown and Max just arrived. It had been a long day, fairly boring being only maybe twenty people showed up. Then again most people come around at night, many rowdy teenagers wanting something to watch with their boyfriend or girlfriend. Most of the people who come during the day are normal adults who have nothing else to do.

"How was the store today?" Max asked me as he entered. I was leaning on the counter with my chin resting in my palm while my other hand was hitting the counter to the beat of the music that was moving throughout the store.

"Pretty normal. Nothing too interesting, except for an old, catholic lady looking for a good horror movie." I explained, laughing at the thought of that lady. She was around the age of eighty maybe, with a cross around her neck, a bible in her purse, and the normal hair that most elderly women have nowadays. She came in, leaning over to me and in a hushed voice where the gory movies were. I smiled and escorted her over to the right movies. She looked like a kid in a candy store. It was adorable.

Max gave an amused chuckle and removed his jacket and placed it on the counter. "Glad to hear it hasn't been too hard." I laughed. 'Because a movie store would be such a hopping area to be around'. Engines sounded outside and I smiled. One of the boys revved their engine trying to catch my attention, probably Paul. Sure enough, I looked out the window and saw them all smirking. I rolled my eyes as Max watched them with a keen eye. Paul motioned me over and I looked at Max. He sighed and checked the clock. He nodded in their direction. "Be careful." He warned. I smiled and grabbed my bad from under the counter.

"And she finally comes!" Paul exclaimed, hopping off of his bike and pulling me into a bear hug, bringing off of the ground.

"Idiot, you're going to hurt her." Marco said. Paul let me down and smiled.

"Breathing is overrated anyway. Who needs air anymore?" I asked. The four men looked at each other in a knowing sense and smirked. I furrowed my brows but brushed it off. People in Santa Carla are strange.

"So where are you headed?" David asked.

"Home probably," I replied. Paul and Marco gave a face of shock.

"But the night is still young, girl!" Paul exclaimed, shaking me by my shoulders.

"But I've been up since seven!' I groaned as they all laughed.

"C'mon! We'll take you back to our place!" I rolled my eyes.

"Last time I ended up with four men it wasn't that great of a time." I stated.

"And here we are asking instead of dragging." Marco reasoned. Am I actually considering going with these guys? Max said I could hang out with them, so they can't be that bad. Plus if they were like his sons like he said, what could be the harm? I'm sure he isn't creating serial killers.