Chapter 18

I turned around and saw no other than the four boys I've been blocking the connection to all this time. I mentally sighed in relief as my eyes locked with Dwayne's. His eyes held a mix of relief and slight danger in them. He wanted a fight and that was probably what he was going to get,

"So these are the guys you wanted to lure in? I can sure understand why." Arlette asked with slight lust in her voice as she seemed to mentally undress the boys. I sent a quick glare at her when I saw her look a little too long at Dwayne.

Damien never answered her but turned to the boys that stood in the doorway. "Ah gentlemen, to what do we owe the honor? I see that you do not seem pleased with the fact she is still alive? Damien questioned with a slightly amused tone lingering in his words

"Just give us Cheyenne." David got straight to the point. He didn't look at all worried about what might happen, but then again he never shows signs of weakness.

"I'm afraid it won't be that easy. You see, I need one more person with you all, but he doesn't seem to have shown up. Where is good old Max?" Damien asked, the grin still in place on his face. Was Max supposed to show up? I didn't think THAT was part of the plan. Only to kill the boys and leave Max all alone?

"Why do you want him so bad? Got a man crush or something?" Paul asked with a slight joking grin. He and Marco were the only ones who cracked a grin at that his comment. Every one else stood still and all staring at Damien and David.

"You see, I want him to feel as I do. Alone. Do you know why I am alone." Damien replied. It was a rhetorical question. "Max had killed my mate, Jane, a long time ago. One of his old changes were ordered to kill her. As I am sure you all are aware that you cannot go against your sire's orders. No one but one who has lost one knows the feeling of losing your mate. The killing of a mate makes their partner's heart is ripped out of their chest. Once a vampire becomes aware of what happens they gain a great vengeful desire to kill the one who has wronged you.

"I had thought time and time again to find him and just kill him right then and there. I soon realized that killing him would be too easy. His pain would be over much quicker if I were to kill him. He would never truly understand my pain. No amount of torture could make him understand what he did to me. and Jane. The emotional pain is always there. The physical pain soon retires, but the emotional pain stays with you as long as you live. Mates are supposed to protect each other no matter what. I didn't protect her. I couldn't protect her. He just came out of nowhere and attacked her."

"He never gave me a reason for the killing of my beloved, he just laughed it off and left like it was some big joke to him."

"You all led me right to him, you know. I wasn't aware that he lived in Santa Carla until you all let me trail around with you all. To think you believed my story about being an idiotic vampire. You two helped out with this plan, you helped more than you know. Knowing you two are mates is like killing two birds with one stone. Not only will killing Cheyenne destroy Max as she is the only girl that he has turned himself. It will also destroy "Silent but Deadly" over there." Damien nodded to Dwayne, who if looks could kill, Damien would be in the pits of Hell." Finally, someone would understand my pain and I would be the one laughing for once."

The room was eerie as no one spoke a single word. The only sound was the faint flickering of the candles which to me sounded almost deafening.

"We didn't tell Max to kill Jane." Dwayne finally spoke up. "You can't blame us for something we didn't do." Always a voice of reason he is.

Damien gave a deep laugh, "Oh, believe me, I don't blame you. You all were just bystanders. But in almost every movie about revenge, there is always death." And in an instant, I was pushed back into the room with Damien. I let out a scream when I realized that all hell was about to break loose.