Chapter 14

Sounds and people rushed past me, or technically, I rushed past them. I'm sure I was running at a speed humans can't but no one noticed, and I really didn't care. That guy took Laddie away and took him somewhere. There was a chance on him still being in the boardwalk since he seemed so cocky at our last meeting. My mind was racing a hundred miles a minute. It doesn't matter if Laddie isn't my real child or not. I took care of him, Dwayne took care of him, we all took care of him. He was one of the closet things to a family I have and I'm going to let him slip by because Damien decided to mess with us.

We shouldn't have let him and Star walk around alone, half vampires versus a fully transformed one is a clear win to the full one. Paul and Marco never should have left them, and I should have told them that. I should have protected that little boy from Damien. I don't think anyone suspected he would take him, but now we know he will result to kidnapping to get what he was. But what is it that he wants? That's the real question.

'Where did they go?' I thought, stopping for a moment to look at my surroundings. There was no sign of Laddie, his scent was nowhere and there was no sign of Damien either.

'Where are you' A voice spoke in my head. I ignored it, racking my brain for possible places of interest. 'Tell me where you are.' The voice demanded. Once again, I ignored it. I knew who it was, Dwayne. He was worried and under normal circumstances, I would answer him. This isn't a normal circumstance.

The only place I could think of was the cave, but I don't know if Damien knew where it was or not. Better to check and make sure he didn't know up then not and him having shown up. Even if he left his scent would be around the cave and we would know that he knows where we live.

I took off down the boardwalk once more, ignoring the questions that were going through my head. I tried to block off my thoughts so the others wouldn't hear them but concentrating on my thoughts and hearing theirs made it hard to do. Running didn't exactly help but I was too close to people to fly without causing attention and I don't feel like getting a stake thrown at my heart today.

Soon after I was far enough, I flew, it made it easier to block thoughts, thankfully. As each second passed, my worry grew more and more for the Laddie. What was Damien going to do with him? Would we ever see him again? Was Damien just going to leave afterward? Was I going to kill Paul and Marco for leaving Laddie and Star unattended? I only know an answer to one of the questions, the last one was a yes.

The cave came into view and I slowly made my way down to the ground. The only sound was my footsteps on the grass and the sound of the waves crashing against the rocky wall of Hudson's Bluff. I wasted no time running down the stairs and stopping when I reached the entrance. His scent hit me like a ton of bricks. It smelled of dried blood and chemicals. He either just left or he was still in the cave, but either way, he was here.

"Well, well, well." His voice echoed from the other side of the cave. He stood casually, a foot pressed against the wall, leaning his back on the wall as well. His arms were crossed, and his face held a smug grin. "If took you long enough. Honestly, you would think for someone who claims to care for someone, you sure don't look out for them." He spoke. He kicked off the wall and moved to stand on the fountain in the middle of the room. "Out of everyone you let watch the boy, you choose the girl. She hasn't even changed and yet you still trusted her with his protection?" He chuckled.

"Where is he?!" I demanded, stalking up to him. I gave a glare and tried to keep the vampire form from appearing out of anger.

"You think I'm stupid enough to bring him with me?" He asked with a gleam in his eye and a small amused grin. "Well, I guess I am slightly stupid because he is here. Just not where you can see him. I'm afraid I'll have to take points off your motherly instinct for not even smelling him. That amount of human in him is really hard to miss."

"What do you want with him? With any of us?" I questioned, trying to not look like I was trying to smell Laddie out of the old smells of our surroundings.

"Oh, I don't want anything from any of you." I gave a questioning look. "You see, I have a problem with this sire of yours." He explained.

"What bone do you have to pick with Max? Why are you messing with us then?"

"Well, Max and I used to know each other, its ancient history, seriously. Let's just say that he had my mate killed by one of his old creations. They're dead now."

"If they're dead why do you still want revenge?" I asked. He shook his head.

"You don't listen, do you? Max ordered them to kill her. If he hadn't done that, she would still be here with me. But no, Max had her killed. Do you know why?" He didn't give me time to answer. "I don't. He never gave me a reason. After she died, he just left. I've never seen him since until I came to Santa Carla and saw his store."

"Look this is a sad story and all, and I'm sure Max had a reason. But what does that have to do with us? Take your problem up with Max. Fight him for all I care."

He clapped his hands together and jumped down from the fountain. "Now we're in the present. I knew I couldn't just let my rage take over. It hurts like hell, losing a mate, but I had to plan. I've been here a few years and I saw your little coven and that you knew Max. You all seemed to care for each other, even though...David was it? He never seemed happy with Max, but Max cares for him. He cares for all of you. So, what better plan than to destroy the precious little family that he's cultivated. First, I'll take little Laddie here and then maybe the girl. Who knows what will happen? Oh wait, I do. Here's a spoiler, that precious blood that he has left, it'll be on the floor."

My eyes widened in shock and I looked down, he couldn't kill Laddie. I don't think I'll ever say this again, but I must do what Damien did. I can't show anger, I must be smart about this. I can't fight him if he knew Max when he's old and he's probably stronger than I am. If I told the rest of the boys where I was, they would come wanting a fight and he might just kill Laddie here and now. Or they could die, but then.

I snapped my head up and looked at him in the eyes. "Take me instead." He didn't seem to be expecting those words because now it was his turn to be in shock. "You said it hurts to lose a mate. Think about the pain you would put Dwayne through if he knew you took me. He would put that pain onto his brothers and eventually Max. Max would try to figure something out, you can catch him off guard." I said. I had to buy some time; I don't care how much, just as much as I can. "But I need to see Laddie first."

He smirked, "You might not listen, but you can think of a good plan. You can come out now." In a second, I saw a flash of light brown come hurling at me and latch onto me for dear life. I looked up at Damien and he motioned at Laddie.

I knelt and took the boys small, shaking hands into my own. "Laddie, you're going to stay here. I'll be gone for a while, but it's to keep you all safe. Be good for the rest of the boys, okay?" I asked. He didn't say much, he sobbed and hugged me tightly. As he hugged me, I whispered so Damien wouldn't hear. "Tell Dwayne I'm sorry."

"As cute as this is, we really must be going. We have things to do, plans to make." Damien tapped his wrist as if there was a watch on it. I stood up, took one last look at Laddie, and followed the male out of the cave. Looking up at the sky I saw a shooting star. I gave up on wishes a while ago, but I wished upon it anyway.

'Please let the boys find us.'