Chapter 10

The following night I was on edge about that new vampire, Damien. He seemed off, his actions told that he either didn't take himself seriously, never met another vampire before, just wanted to annoy all of us, or was a newborn. If he was a newborn, who the hell turned him? Max wouldn't have turned someone else without telling us, at least I hope he wouldn't. The cave is a large area but having another member could raise suspicions, though I'm not quite sure why none have been raised yet anyway. Four bikers, two girls, and a ten-year-old has bound to raise some eyebrows. If weird boy Damien were added that would make it even worse, with the whole cape thing and all.

"The kid probably just read too much Dracula." Dwayne said, clearly listening in to my thoughts, snapping me out of them. Laddie was in between us, per my order, and I had an almost vice grip on the kids' hand. My eyes kept scanning the crowd for the strange vampire, praying that he was only around for that day.

An arm slung around my shoulders as Paul came up with Marco behind him. "You're worrying too much, girl. He couldn't hurt anyone, that dude was a total puss. Did he even look like he could be a problem? Besides, it would be one versus five. Even he has to be at least a little smart to know that." Okay, for once Paul had a point. It wouldn't be a fair match for Damien. Plus, if he was a newborn then he would be even weaker since he would still have his blood taking over his own body, rather than a sire. I nodded, lessening the grip I had on the poor young boy a little. His face looked a bit relieved and I gave him an apologetic look, even after all this I forget the strength of a vampire is still stronger than a human, and even to half vampires it's rather strong.

"Laddie, are you hungry?" I asked as my eyes wandered over to David and Star. Star still wasn't too happy about being turned, but she still was only a halfling. She refused to feed, to the dismay of David and the annoyance to the rest of us. But alas, David said we can't kill her, saying something along the lines of, "She'll soon feel the effect of the thirst and learn to deal with it and feed." We've tried to get her to feed, hell we even brought a few people to the cave for her, but no. She always refuses so sadly we had to finish them off for her right in front of her while Laddie was sleeping. How he slept through that is a mystery to all of us. Let's just say Star didn't really enjoy the fact we did that to her, she stopped talking to us because of it. Not that any of us minded.

Laddie nodded his head, "What are you feeling like tonight?" I asked him, tearing my gaze from the two in front of us and down to the boy. He was in brief thought for a moment, trying to decide upon the ten food items that we were around, hundreds if you count the humans, but since we were letting him age up since being forever ten would be inhumane, he only had ten options.

"Hotdogs!" He exclaimed, clearly happy with what he chose. I laughed and nodded, letting go of his hand and pushing him closer to Dwayne. The raven-haired male gave me a confused look.

"Laddie stay with everyone else. I'll go get your food. What do you want on it?" I questioned, keeping my eyes locked on my mates. 'I don't care how much of a threat that guy might not be. I don't trust him and I'd rather him be with you guys then me alone.' Dwayne still gave a look of slightly accepting my thoughts.

'So, you would rather go alone for more of a chance of a problem?' He asked before picking up Laddie and hoisting him onto his shoulders.

'I could take the weirdo; it'd be safer without a young half vampire there if anything happens.' Dwayne gave a look of not accepting my statement but didn't say anything further.

I sighed and headed to the hotdog stand, it was a ways away and didn't help my supposed paranoia about Damien. I kept my eyes peeled for the guy and every time I thought I thought I saw him I walked faster. It wasn't until I hear someone shouting that I stopped.

"Hey! Wait up!" I turned around for the stupid reason of curiosity. It was him, the "notorious creature of the night" or so he calls himself. He stopped next him, placing his hands on his knees, and breathing slightly heavy.

"I've been looking for you all night." He said, and I gave him a weird look. "Well I mean, I've been looking for your coven all night." He tried to save himself. If Dwayne was here, he wouldn't have liked that comment. Part of the "Protective Mate Policy", or at least that what I call it. "I mean, I haven't seen you guys since that night."

"You say that like that's a long time." I stated, starting to walk again. "Why are you here? In Santa Carla anyway." I asked. I know it's probably a stupid idea to converse with the one person who is bringing paranoia to you, but I felt the need to learn about the guy. Keep friends close but enemies closer right?

"Well you see, I've been on a mission." He responds, balling his fists into his cape. He was still wearing the cape. I mentally groaned. "I've been on a mission to find other like me. At first, I thought I was the only one who was like this, but it seems that I'm not!" I rolled my eyes. He did know that to become a vampire you had to drink from another vampire's blood, right? Thus, there being another one.

"So, of all places you end up in, it's Santa Carla. There is probably more in New York or Chicago. The wider known cities." I said, coming up to the line of the hot dog stand. "How did it happen? You becoming," I motioned to him, "this." I knew I would regret asking this, but I thought it'd be nice to hear his story, to see if it made sense.

"Well you see," He began. "I just woke like this! The night before I was hanging around my home in Washington and some mysterious man came up to me and was all like 'Hey come with me.' And I was all like 'Okay.' Because I had just gotten into a fight with my parents because they said I was too old to be living there and were tired of my obsessive vampire nature." I interrupted his story to order the hot dog but then motioned my hands for him to continue. "So, he was all like 'I can make your dreams come true.' And I thought he was totally a fake, but I went with him." I took note that he talked with his hands a lot. He does a lot of unnecessary large hand movements, and none of them include him moving his hair out of his face. "So, he gave me this stuff and I drank it and boom! Vampire!"

"You're very loud, you know that?" I asked, contemplating his story. The only part that I cared about was the end, that's the only thing that made sense. "And as fun as this is, really, I'm afraid I got to go." I stated, turning on my heels and walking off.

"Hey!" Damien shouted after me and caught up. "You know about me, now it's my turn to ask about you." He said confidently.

"Actually, it's not. You told me about yourself on your free will. I wasn't holding a knife up to your neck demanding you tell me. You could have just said no." I explained. Something flashed in his eyes, something that wasn't his normal cheery emotion.

"Can I at least know your name?" He asked, with a slight pout forming on his lips. I gave me a look that said, "are you stupid" but never gave him a yes or no, but in that moment an idea formed in my mind,

"You have a bike?" I asked him. It was his turn to be confused.

"I have a bicycle." He responded. I gave a brief chuckle and shook my head, not really knowing what I expected from him.

"If you're able to do what I want to see you do, I'll tell you." Was the last thing I said to him in that moment and kept walking.