Chapter 17

I had to time this moment perfectly. I had to make sure everyone went to sleep and the sun wasn't up yet. I had a hard time trying to gauge that by being underneath the earth. And the fact there was not even a glimmer of sunlight coming from the stairs. I couldn't get stuck under the sun unless I wanted to turn into ashes, and ash is not a good look for me.

While everyone went to their separate rooms for their morning sleep, I listened to the footsteps that followed each closing door. I had to make sure that I didn't hear any other ones after that. I waited in silence while minutes passed. I didn't hear anything so I assumed the coast was clear and I stepped out of the room. Mentally sighing, I crossed the area of the living room trying my best to not make a sound. I had to be even more careful with the sleeping vampires. Sure they were sleeping, but what can wake up a vampire doesn't even wake up a human sleeping. So it was a delicate task.

I maneuvered my way around various setup candles and chairs while looking back at each door. Looking back at the doors to make sure there was no movement, I almost tripped over the leg of a candle holder. It took all I could muster to not let a "shit" come out of my mouth. Balancing myself, I took one last look behind me before almost sprinting to the stairs and up them. The trees provided shelter from the sun as I walked under them. At the end of the trees I looked at the dawn sky in front of me as I watched for the place of the sun, it was rising slowly.

"Well, well, well, where do you think you're going?" A deep voice called out from behind me. I didn't even turn around, I panicked and ran out into the brightening day. It didn't take but a few seconds before a searing hot feeling started to take over my flesh. I let out a loud scream and came to a halt almost immediately. Two arms wrapped around my waist and I was brought back into the shade of the trees. The lack of sun brought a cooling effect to my body as I was carried back into the underground.

"That wasn't a smart idea," Damien stated matter of fact. I couldn't even look up at him, all I felt was weak. I was weak. I knew that now. I could have killed myself. I could have left Dwayne alone, well he would still have Paul, Marko, David, and Laddie. And Max if he counted. He wouldn't be alone. Maybe it would be for the best if I did leave forever...No. That had to be the sun's effect. I can't doubt myself now. Not now at least, maybe after my skin healed or I was away from this place. When I was with my family.

My arms stung as I lay in the bed back in my room. No, the room I was staying in. It wasn't mine and it never will be. The stinging sensation was one of the most painful things I had ever felt. It was as if someone took multiply frying pans off of the stove and stuck them to me in various stops. I tried to open my eyes to get a look at my arms and large, red welts covered them both. I sighed, it could have been a lot worse. That fact didn't stop the pain though.

'Cheyenne?! Are you okay?! You're hurt!' Dwayne's voice cut through my silent cries of agony. He knew I was hurt. Did he feel it? 'You went out into the sun! Are you crazy? You could have died!' He seemed angry, but it was a caring type of angry. Like when your mom tells you not to touch the stove but you do it anyway and she gives that stern voice. It was nice to hear him like that as strange as it sounds.

'I know.' Was all I replied, I wasn't exactly in the mood to talk, so maybe he would do that for me.

'You were trying to die? Why?' His voice now held a more hurt tone. I sighed, I don't want him to think I was trying to commit suicide.

' I was trying to escape, I thought I knew where the sun was but I guess I was wrong.' I explained shortly. He kept quiet for a few moments.

'How did you survive?' His thoughts were almost nonexistent they were so quiet.

'Damien saw me leave I guess. He pulled me out and back indoors. I don't know how he survived it without a mark.' I replied.

'We think we found Damien scent, Max says it crossed with yours and somehow contaminated it. So instead of following you, we've had to follow him.' David butted into our conversation and never in my life did I think that I would be happy to hear him. But why was he up? Why was Dwayne up? Normally they are sleeping at this time of day. Then again, so am I.

'Dwayne fell off his perch when he felt something happened to you. Paul and Marko didn't wake up, but he was loud enough to wake me up.' David explained to me. 'Tell him to keep it down next time.' David's thoughts were closed after that. I assume he went to sleep. Dwayne's thoughts were still open.

'Dwayne, you need rest.' I thought.

'We're close you finding you. I promise it will be soon. Please do not do anything that will harm you again, I thought you were dead. I don't know what I would do if something were to happen.'

'I promise I won't do anything dangerous.' I promised. 'Now go to sleep.' And before he could argue I cut the connection and I eventually fell asleep.

The next night came too soon. I was slightly worried that Damien would do as I tried not to touch my arms to anything. It was harder to do being the fact it hurt to even move them a few inches. As I opened the door to the living room it was quiet. All four members of the coven sat in the living room looking at me. I moved to go back into the room when before I knew it, Damien was next to me looking over my arms. He was gentle about it, kind of put me off and I wanted nothing more than to snatch my appendages back from him.

"You'll have many scars, but the blisters themselves will heal up soon enough." He said as if he was a doctor. He looked into my eyes and I locked mine with his.

"Why did you save me?" The question flew out of my mind before I could even think about it. He gave a small amused grin as he finally let go of my hand.

"Why would I let you die? If you don't remember you are part of the plan and letting you die like that wouldn't be fun. It would be more suicide than a cry for help. And I for one want your mate to see you before it happens."

"Can he invite some people? Maybe three more people?" A familiar voice spoke from the staircase.