Chapter 16

"I suppose this room will be suitable to your liking?" Damien asked, motioning to the dark room he led me to. Candles lit the small room, and it didn't help that most of the furniture was dark-colored. A black metal bed sat in the corner with a black sheet covering it and a dark blue pillow against the wall. There was a dresser that seemed to be crafted from brown wood that was set on the opposite wall, a mirror hung above it. It was kind of true that vampires can't see their reflection, so it was funny. After being invited into a home, in Max's words, "renders you powerless." It is nice to know some humanity is still in vampires.

"Wait, you're not going to kill me?" I asked, furrowing my brows. Why would he not kill me? Wasn't that part of the plan? I became even more confused when he gave a deep chuckle. The grin on his face making its way up to his eyes before he started laughing uncontrollably. 'God, he has issues.' I thought to myself as I watched the man pull himself back together, keeping the small smile on his face.

"Now why would I kill you? Someone is getting ahead of themselves. I need you to help me with this." He explained as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I tilted my head in confusion.

"I thought the plan was that you kill me, get inside the head of Dwayne, then that would lead to Max? At least that's what I thought we were doing." I stated, leaning against the wall, folding my arms across my chest.

"That was the plan. Until I decided it would be better to keep you alive." He said matter of fact. "If I killed you, it would take longer for them to find you. Do note that I am not that oblivious to the whole mate thing. I know, Dwayne, was that his name? I know he can track you with this connection you share." His eyes turned dark for a moment.

"Though if I did kill you now, he would feel that connection snap. It's like a thread, there are two ends and when you burn on the side, it eventually will reach the other end. But that's not what I want, I want an actual fight for a prize." I took note of his eyes wandering over me and shivered. "Besides, I promised them in there a fight. They have been ready for a while."

"Speaking of them, were you the one to change them?" I asked, pulling my hair from where it lay against my back to let it fall over my chest.

"I only meant to change two of them. Arlette and Amanda were friends before. Amanda wouldn't leave Arlette alone for more than two minutes, so I had to bring her with me. I gave Arlette some...wine and Amanda just insisted she could handle it too. Jack, well he was my mates doing, I look after him after what happened to her per her wishes. To be honest, if I had my way, I would have killed him years ago." He stated before leaning and watched them interact. They didn't act like those boys at all. Sure, they were friendly to each other, but there wasn't that family bond there. It was more like a mutual understanding of each other. "Anyway, I'll let you get settled here." The topic of his coven mates made him uncomfortable, it was understandable.

I nodded, watching his back as it turned to me and headed out the door. He was even so kind as to close the door all the way. It made me slightly unsettled to have doors in a home now. After living in the cave, it was more of sub caves, not closed rooms. It felt as if a weight sat at the bottom of my stomach, it was strange to be closed off. Closed off from humanity, from Dwayne, from even the fucking living room. I guess I could fix one of those...I sighed before making my way over to the bed and sat on it. I opened my mind and listened to any of the boys.

'Hello?' I thought, moving so I could sit with my back against the wall. I silently wished for no one to answer and no one seemed to hear me, which might be a good thing. Dwayne might be mad at me, I guess that could be a bad thing. But to be honest, I wanted him to be mad. I've put him through this whole hostage situation, and he's been worried. I don't deserve to be worried about it. I could break myself out of here without the boy's help, and that is exactly what I will do.